Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
1) A: Do you wanna come over to my place tonight?
B: I'm sorry, I can't. I just promised to Lisa I would spend this evening with her.
A: Why don't you bring her along/round?

2) A: Have you found the cd I have lent you?
B: Sure, I'll bring it along/round tomorrow.

Are these two phrasal verbs possible? Do they generally have the same meaning like in this case?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) A: Do you wanna come over to my place tonight?
B: I'm sorry, I can't. I just promised to Lisa I would spend this evening with her.
A: Why don't you bring her along/round?

2) A: Have you found the cd I have lent you?
B: Sure, I'll bring it along/round tomorrow.

Are these two phrasal verbs possible? Do they generally have the same meaning like in this case?

They're both used although I would be more inclined to say that I would bring a person "along" and a thing "round".

I don't know if the first exchange you gave was copied from somewhere, but please note that it's not "I promised to Lisa...", it's just "I promised Lisa [that] I would spend this evening with her."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
2) A: Have you found the cd I have lent you? Present perfect is not appropriate here.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
2) A: Have you found the cd I have lent you? Present perfect is not appropriate here.

What do you suggest? Simple past for both or what? Present perfect in the first part and simple past in the second?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Have you found the CD I lent you?

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Have you found the CD I lent you?

Ok ;-) I thought it was grammatically incorrect to word sentences with present perfect and simple past at the same time. I thought that it was correct to form a sentence using either the present perfect alone or more present perfects or using the past simple (alternated with the past continuos or the past perfect).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ok ;-) I thought it was grammatically incorrect to word sentences with present perfect and simple past at the same time. I thought that it was correct to form a sentence using either the present perfect alone or more present perfects or using the past simple (alternated with the past continuos or the past perfect).

Not using two different tenses in one sentences is a grammatical myth that we're doing our best to bust on this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.