Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi everyone!
I really need help regarding my accent.
I'm from Quebec, Canada and I learn English since 3rd grade. However, teachers didn't really focus on the speaking and I managed to skip all of those rare oral presentations. As a result I am pretty lacking when it comes to speak even though I consider myself as a bilingual (my friends laugh at that because they say I must speak perfectly to consider myself a bilingual ). I never spoke more than 10 minutes in a row and I'm very shy when it comes to speak to native English speaker. I think it's because I'm a little self-conscious about my accent and I don't want people to laugh at me…

I was on Yahoo Answer earlier to ask the question "What does my accent sounds like for native English speakers?" and a guy told me he doesn't even care and my accent was horrible (he called me a foreigner too)

It's the first step I ever took regarding my accent and I'm even more scared and shy because of that rude guy… I figured out that people on this website must be a little more courteous and polite since it's to help English learners…

So my questions are :
Is my accent horrible? (loll be honest)
Am I easily understandable?
What are my pronunciation mistakes specifically ?

This is the text I read. I started from the fifth paragraph :
guardian.co.uk/travel/2007/sep/09/escape.photography

This is the link for my video :
youtube.com/watch?v=bG2_ga-jo5c

Thank you guys I really appreciate your help! This is a huge step for me! feel free to speak your mind about it I just want to improve :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Your accent's not horrible and in general there are no problems understanding you. However, you word stress is a bit unnatural at times, but this could be the result of reading a text of someone else's words. It would be better if you recorded yourself speaking and not reading a text- that way you'd give people a more natural sample to listen to. Could you do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.