Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

Please read the following sentence:

It was jumping and snapping at the snake so as to make it strike and throw itself off guard.

Since the phrase "off guard" means "unprepared" the sentence could be rewritten the following way:

It was jumping and snapping at the snake so as to make it strike and unprepared. Is that right?

But I don't understand the meaning of "unprepared" here. Could you please explain that?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear teachers,

Please read the following sentence:

It was jumping and snapping at the snake so as to make it strike and throw itself off guard.

Since the phrase "off guard" means "unprepared" the sentence could be rewritten the following way:

It was jumping and snapping at the snake so as to make it strike and throw itself unprepared. Is that right?
No, it isn't. Your inference process is mystifying.

But I don't understand the meaning of "unprepared" here. Could you please explain that?
It's inappropriate here, so it doesn't need explaning.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
You can't just interchange one phrase for another in any context simply because a dictionary says they mean a similar thing.

Dictionary entry: china - "fine crockery made from baked earth."
Good sentence using your reasoning: "I live in fine crockery made from baked earth."

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi Raymott,

Thank you so much for your help.

This is from a test:It was jumping and snapping at the snake so as to make it strike and throw itself off guard.

a. ready b. unprepared c. vigilant d. shaking

Only "b" is correct. But I really don't understand the sentence.

Could you please explain more?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

You can't just interchange one phrase for another in any context simply because a dictionary says they mean a similar thing.

Dictionary entry: china - "fine crockery made from baked earth."
Good sentence using your reasoning: "I live in fine crockery made from baked earth."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi Raymott,

This is from a test:It was jumping and snapping at the snake so as to make it strike and throw itself off guard.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
All four options are wrong. It's a poor test question.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi bhaisahab,

Thank you very much for your response. All are wrong? That's terrible because the key is "unprepared".

Jiang
All four options are wrong. It's a poor test question.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Raymott,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
I see. Then I apologise - it's not entirely your reasoning processes that are at fault.
If someone is thrown "off guard", then they are in a sense "unprepared" for whatever it was they were "on guard" for. But, as I implied, that doesn't mean you can use them interchangeably.
However, in the unfortunate event that you had to answer this exam question, "unprepared" is the only choice you could reasonably make. Sometimes that's the best you can do with a question like this.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi Raymott,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I understand it. There are many other such sentences that really bother me.

Jiang

I see. Then I apologise - it's not entirely your reasoning processes that are at fault.
If someone is thrown "off guard", then they are in a sense "unprepared" for whatever it was they were "on guard" for. But, as I implied, that doesn't mean you can use them interchangeably.
However, in the unfortunate event that you had to answer this exam question, "unprepared" is the only choice you could reasonably make. Sometimes that's the best you can do with a question like this.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi Ryamott,

I am sorry I didn't tell you it is from a test. I should have stated that.

Jiang

Status
Not open for further replies.