Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Do you have

  1. #1
    Winwin2011 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    876
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Do you have

    Hi every English teachers

    If a couple walk at a wet market, the woman wants to buy some fruit and asks the man whether he has money on hand. How should they say?

    1. Do you have money?
    No, I don't have money.

    2. Do you have any money?
    No, I don't have any money

    Is there any different meaning betweeen "Do you have money?" and "Do you have any money?"

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Do you have

    Quote Originally Posted by bh1234 View Post
    Hi every English teachers

    If a couple walk at a wet market, the woman wants to buy some fruit and asks the man whether he has money on hand. How should they say?

    1. Do you have money?
    No, I don't have money.

    2. Do you have any money?
    No, I don't have any money

    Is there any different meaning betweeen "Do you have money?" and "Do you have any money?"
    Both are common.

  3. #3
    TheParser is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Do you have

    Quote Originally Posted by bh1234 View Post
    Hi every English teachers

    If a couple walk at a wet market, the woman wants to buy some fruit and asks the man whether he has money on hand. How should they say?

    1. Do you have money?
    No, I don't have money.

    2. Do you have any money?
    No, I don't have any money

    Is there any different meaning betweeen "Do you have money?" and "Do you have any money?"
    REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER

    (1) Some books say that one uses "any" when you do not care how much but you are

    thinking of some; one does not use "any" when you are not thinking of some amount.

    Here are two examples from Michael Swan's Practical English Usage:

    (a) Is there any water in the refrigerator? (You are thinking of some water.)

    (b) Is there water on the moon? (You want to know if there is water on the moon, NOT the amount.)
    ***
    Wife: Look at those delicious apples.

    Husband: They do look good, don't they!

    Wife: Do you have any money? ( = She doesn't know how much. She is hoping that the amount is enough in order to buy the apples.)

    Husband: Let me check. Yeah, I have a few dollars. Here you are.

    ***

    (At a party)

    Tom: Hello, young lady. My name is Tom.

    Mona: That's nice.

    Tom: May I ask your name?

    Mona: Why do you want to know?

    Tom: I was thinking that maybe one day we could go out for a cup of coffee.

    Mona: Do you have money? (= Are you rich?)

    Tom: I'm poor.

    Mona: Goodbye.

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Do you have

    What is a wet market?

  5. #5
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Do you have

    Quote Originally Posted by bh1234 View Post
    Hi every English teachers

    If a couple walk at a wet market, the woman wants to buy some fruit and asks the man whether he has money on hand. How should they say?

    1. Do you have money?
    No, I don't have money.

    2. Do you have any money?
    No, I don't have any money

    Is there any different meaning betweeen "Do you have money?" and "Do you have any money?"
    In that situation, no.

  6. #6
    ysc1230 is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Do you have

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    What is a wet market?
    Do US or UK people not know what wet market is

  7. #7
    Winwin2011 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    876
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Do you have

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    What is a wet market?
    A wet market is generally an open food market.
    The floors and surroundings are often routinely sprayed and washed with water—to the extent of flooding it at frequent intervals—which gave it the name "wet market".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_market
    Last edited by Tdol; 25-Sep-2011 at 17:01. Reason: Source link added

  8. #8
    Winwin2011 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    876
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Do you have

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER

    (1) Some books say that one uses "any" when you do not care how much but you are

    thinking of some; one does not use "any" when you are not thinking of some amount.

    Here are two examples from Michael Swan's Practical English Usage:

    (a) Is there any water in the refrigerator? (You are thinking of some water.)

    (b) Is there water on the moon? (You want to know if there is water on the moon, NOT the amount.)
    ***
    Wife: Look at those delicious apples.

    Husband: They do look good, don't they!

    Wife: Do you have any money? ( = She doesn't know how much. She is hoping that the amount is enough in order to buy the apples.)

    Husband: Let me check. Yeah, I have a few dollars. Here you are.

    ***

    (At a party)

    Tom: Hello, young lady. My name is Tom.

    Mona: That's nice.

    Tom: May I ask your name?

    Mona: Why do you want to know?

    Tom: I was thinking that maybe one day we could go out for a cup of coffee.

    Mona: Do you have money? (= Are you rich?)

    Tom: I'm poor.

    Mona: Goodbye.

    Thanks. Your examples are very detailed and fantastic! I laughed hard for the following conversation:

    Mona: Do you have money? (= Are you rich?)

    Tom: I'm poor.

    Mona: Goodbye

    Does "Is there any water in the refrigerators ? have the same meaning as with "Is there any water in the refrigerator?"
    Last edited by Winwin2011; 24-Sep-2011 at 05:13.

  9. #9
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Do you have

    Quote Originally Posted by bh1234 View Post
    A wet market is generally an open food market.
    The floors and surroundings are often routinely sprayed and washed with water—to the extent of flooding it at frequent intervals—which gave it the name "wet market".
    I've never heard that before. I can say with some certainty that it's not used in BrE.

  10. #10
    TheParser is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Do you have

    Quote Originally Posted by bh1234 View Post

    Does "Is there any water in the refrigerators ? have the same meaning as with "Is there any water in the refrigerator?"

    REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER


    (1) Thank you for your very kind note.

    (2) As only a non-teacher, I must be very careful before giving an opinion.

    (a) I have only one fridge. So I would ask "Is there any water in the fridge?"

    (b) If I had two fridges, I think (repeat: think) that I would ask the same question.

    (3) Hopefully, one of the teachers will answer your interesting question. (You must

    always accept a teacher's answer, not mine.)

    (4) P.S. If I understand my books correctly:

    Is there any water? = I absolutely do not know.

    Is there some water? = I think that there probably is, but I am not sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •