Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
At our store, each day we get about four requests for any iPod unit we carry.

Stilted. ;-) Besides, "any iPod we carry" could mean someone comes in and asks for all the Ipods you have on stock.

Mne nravitca eto:
It happens four times a day at our store that a new customer comes in and asks for an iPod.

Unambiguous if stilted.
----
At our store, customers ask for an iPod four times every day.

Interptreting it any other way than four different customers and four different ipods is nit-picking and hair-splitting, IMO.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Twenty posts and still going. :roll:

The silly thing (in my opinion) is that only a pedant is going to misunderstand anyway. If we really think that there is some horrible risk of misunderstanding, we could , depending on what we mean exactly, say something like:

We sell four iPods a day.
We get four enquiries a day about iPods.
One nutter comes into our store four times a day to ask stupid questions about iPods.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Twenty posts and still going. :roll:

The silly thing (in my opinion) is that only a pedant is going to misunderstand anyway. If we really think that there is some horrible risk of miunderstanding, we could , dpending on what we mean exactly, say something like:

One nutter comes into our store four times a day to ask stupid questions about iPods.
Thank you for that blast of common sense!

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
----
At our store, customers ask for an iPod four times every day.

Interptreting it any other way than four different customers and four different ipods is nit-picking and hair-splitting, IMO.

Twenty posts and still going.
It appears to me that natives kept it going by their continual hair-splitting rejections, one of which you even "liked".

Thank you for that blast of common sense!
This comment suggests to me that most (all?) previous posts lack common sense. :up: Offensive.

Last edited:

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe

They fail to convey the idea that four people ask for (not necessarily buy) four different ipods, one each.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm going to close this as it's getting uncomfortably close to boiling point. Can I ask everyone to be polite to each other.

However while we're on the subject of what's offensive or not, if you are prepared to post things like this polite and friendly message and then get all thin-skinned when someone says silly and another talks of a blast of common sense. I am not entirely sure that this is a consistent position. I will close this thread and take no action, but if you want to claim offence over this thread, then what would you like me to do about the blatantly insulting post with the double-headslap-because-one-just-isn't-enough photo?

Last edited:

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Status
Not open for further replies.