Thread: Legitimate?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Legitimate?

Hi,

I just signed up for an online certification course provided by www.tesol-academy.com and I'm wondering if anyone finds this site to be shady or not.

I live in Alaska and a TESOL in-class certification does not exist up here, so an online course was my only option. I found this website from www.tesol.net as it was posted as being legitmate and it is verified by the Education Verification Service (http://e-v-s.org/)

The reason I ask is because I was looking over the sections that I must complete and they require me to read a single book and answer multiple question quizzes and then write a few lesson plans for the final. This requirement seems a little too simple and I'm a bit skeptical.

Could some of you take a look at the site and give me your opinion?

Sincerely yours,
    MyJelleo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Legitimate?

Well, I checked out the questions provided on the quiz and it looks like the site isn't all that wonderful =\. I don't think I could really benefit in any form from the program from just reading a book and answering multiple questions on the chapters, which is essentially what the entire program consists of.

I did sign up for the Canada English Center program that is advertised on this site and I think that this one is more legit and the price it costs to take the program seems more realistic.

Anyway, has anyone taken the online program from the Canada English center (www.canadaenglishcenter.com) or know of anyone who has participated in it, if so please give me your thoughts on it.
    Last edited by MyJelleo; 09-Oct-2005 at 02:42. Reason: Misspellings

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Try asking these people for local info: http://www.tesl.ca/

Hmm- I'm a bit unsure. Here are the Whois details for EVS- doesn't look like much to me:
    Domain ID:D106783948-LROR
    Domain Name:E-V-S.ORG
    Created On:02-Jul-2005 12:46:46 UTC
    Last Updated On:01-Sep-2005 04:06:31 UTC
    Expiration Date:02-Jul-2006 12:46:46 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:Go Daddy Software, Inc. (R91-LROR)
    Registrant ID:GODA-012692763
    Registrant Name:Site Admin
    Registrant Organization:Education Verification Services
    Registrant Street1:1903 Hooten
    Registrant Street2:
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:Killeen
    Registrant State/Province:Texas
    Registrant Postal Code:76543
    Registrant Country:US
    Registrant Phone:+1.0357763343
    Registrant Phone Ext.:
    Registrant FAX:
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Dennis,

My name is Robert Reid from the Tesol-Academy.com. I noticed your post on this forum so I thought I would reply. About our course.... our course uses the same text that is required for university level linguistics courses. In addition, it is the same text used for many CELTA and Trinity Tesol programs. Our course is 100% online. This means that the burden of reading the material, absorbing the information, and using it to formulate your individual teaching methodology, is dependent upon you. The major difference between our course and an "in-house" course is that you will be observed & evaluated during trial lessons with "live" students. You will then have the chance to gain feedback from your mentor(s) and correct obvious flaws. However, the base material that you will learn in an "in-house" course ( text ) is exactly the same. You mention that you can't imagine any benefit from reading a book and answering questions? I hope you really didn't mean that :) ! With that logic, I guess all libraries, colleges, and universities should shut down as students are unable to derive any education from reading books and answering questions. Our price? Yes, it is very cheap. We are an internet company, not a "brick & mortar" school. We don't pay thousands of dollars for rent or advertising. About 99% of our students come from referrals. Because we have very low operating costs, we can pass this on to our students in the form of reduced tuition fees. Our staff is comprised of 7 tutors, including myself. We are all full-time ESL instructors. Anyway, it sounds like you are very new to the world of TESL, welcome. It is obvious that you would benefit most from an "in-house" course as some individuals don't work well independently. An "in-house" course will provide you with the "feeling" of participation, direct communication / feedback from staff, and a sense of "belonging" with your fellow students. From what I have heard, the Canadian English Center is a fine organization. I wish you all the best and good luck! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me anytime.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Robert,

Thank you for replying to my post. I hope I didn't come off as insulting towards your program, but as you know when something is too good to be true it usually is.

I've seen many other programs costing double what your program is asking for, so I was a bit skeptical. I also have been reading from various websites how I should watch out for scams online and you could say I was very paranoid with the program I chose. Again, sorry for doubting your credibilty.

As for attending an "in-house" course, I don't have such an option. I have 2 jobs and the only courses near my area are located in different states, so obtaining my certificate from an "in-house" program is out of the question. I'm attempting to get my Elementary Ed degree, so that "feeling" of participation is already gained from those courses from my university, but thank you for your concern.

Sincerely,
    Dennis
    Last edited by MyJelleo; 11-Oct-2005 at 03:45.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

Could you tell me a bit more about recognition of your course, etc. I looked up EVS, the certification people, and the site details didn't look too promising. Who are they? There's no information on their main page and the site is only registered for one year. They say they are a 'verification' service, which doesn't seem to me to be the same as recognition.

We get a few posts about courses on the internet and I'm never really sure what to say because there are places where the recognition body shares the address with the course provider. This is not the case here, but I'm not clear what their role is.

Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dennis,

No insult taken! The world of Tesol Certification is very confusing. There is nothing wrong with using due diligence and proceeding with your gut feeling. Tdol, thank you for your question. As our site suggests, we utilize EVS as our third party verification and consulting service. Membership with EVS requires that we adhere to a set level of standards. Initally, our mission statement and advertising was reviewed and evaluated for correctness and clarity by EVS. Their policy requires us to formally enroll students, maintain records, and retain a qualified staff to review submitted work. Our course was reviewed to insure that we provide students with comprehensive, up to date lesson material. Furthermore, membership requires us to provide continuous two-way communication with students via evaluation, answering queries and providing feedback. In addition, we are required to survey present and former students as to our enrollment practice, lessons, and satisfaction with our course. We feel that our association with EVS is beneficial to the student in the sense that an independent third party has recognized our program as being of value.

Robert
    Last edited by Robert Reid; 12-Oct-2005 at 10:36.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like