Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,
Firstly please excuse me for the vague title!
In 'My Family' series, season 2, episode 4 (Trust never sleeps!), Ben is angry waiting for his daughter to get out of the loo when Nick comes in and says, 'hi dad!', and Ben, in answer, says something like, 'is it (?!)' or 'ease it (?!)'.

Does either of them carry any meaning in this context? :-(

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there,
Firstly please excuse me for the vague title!
In 'My Family' series, season 2, episode 4 (Trust never sleeps!), Ben is angry waiting for his daughter to get out of the loo when Nick comes in and says, 'hi dad!', and Ben, in answer, says something like, 'is it (?!)' or 'ease it (?!)'.

Does either of them carry any meaning in this context? :-(

Without a clip to watch or listen to I'm not sure. My guesses are:

1. He just said "Easy" which means "OK, calm down/take it easy".
2. Maybe "Is he?" referring to himself as "he" and using the pun where "Hi" is used as "High" (ie stoned on drugs).

However, neither of those actually make sense. If you can find the clip online, please post the link.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Without a clip to watch or listen to I'm not sure. My guesses are:

1. He just said "Easy" which means "OK, calm down/take it easy".
2. Maybe "Is he?" referring to himself as "he" and using the pun where "Hi" is used as "High" (ie stoned on drugs).

However, neither of those actually make sense. If you can find the clip online, please post the link.

Many thanks indeed! If you just kindly have a look at that. It's season 2, episode 4. Time: 2.40

Watch My Family Season 2 Episode 4 online | NovaMov - Free and reliable flash video hosting

So many thanks in advance!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Many thanks indeed! If you just kindly have a look at that. It's season 2, episode 4. Time: 2.40

Watch My Family Season 2 Episode 4 online | NovaMov - Free and reliable flash video hosting

So many thanks in advance!

Thanks for the link! OK, I think I've got it. He does say "Is it?"

Basically, there's a common English silly spoken pun where when someone says "Good morning", you say "Is it?" in response. That means "Is it good?" or "Is it a good morning?" The suggestion is that the responder is probably not having a good morning.

In this situation, instead of the older son saying "Good morning", he says "Hello, Dad" but Ben says "Is it?" anyway, as if Nick had said "Good morning". It's not terribly funny, to be honest but people familiar with the normal "joke" will understand it.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for the link! OK, I think I've got it. He does say "Is it?"

Basically, there's a common English silly spoken pun where when someone says "Good morning", you say "Is it?" in response. That means "Is it good?" or "Is it a good morning?" The suggestion is that the responder is probably not having a good morning.

In this situation, instead of the older son saying "Good morning", he says "Hello, Dad" but Ben says "Is it?" anyway, as if Nick had said "Good morning". It's not terribly funny, to be honest but people familiar with the normal "joke" will understand it.

I wish I could thank you in person dear emsr2d2! Sometimes I do wonder how we could thank you dear main posters for all the kind support you provide for the members. We do appreciate it, and personally hope we can repay it all!

Many thanks...and wish you all the very best! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.