Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

I have a couple of questions about the following sentence:

He added that as soon as the notification for the same will come, the changes would be made in the pattern of JEE.
This sentence appears at the end of a news item about a change in pattern to the JEE (Joint Entrance Exam) for admission to IITs (Indian Institutes of Technology).

KANPUR: The Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) are all set to bring a whole new change in the pattern of Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) organised every year across the country. The changed exam pattern would be followed from the year 2013.

My questions are:

1. Is the use of 'notification for the same' correct? Or is it 'Indian English'?

2. After 'as soon as the notification', is it correct to use 'will come'? Or, should it be 'as soon as the notification comes'?

Thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. Is the use of 'notification for the same' correct? Or is it 'Indian English'?
It would be unnatural in modern British English, but may well be acceptable in modern Indian English

2. After 'as soon as the notification', is it correct to use 'will come'? Or, should it be 'as soon as the notification comes'?In modern British English it must be 'comes'. I can't speak for Indian English.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It would be unnatural in modern British English, but may well be acceptable in modern Indian English

2. After 'as soon as the notification', is it correct to use 'will come'? Or, should it be 'as soon as the notification comes'?In modern British English it must be 'comes'. I can't speak for Indian English.

@fivejedjon, thank you! :)

Various types of English are in use here. Archaic BrE, Indian English, and now increasingly AmE. The strange thing (to me) is that some of the syndicated columns that appear in the newspapers have AmE usage/phrases/idioms but BrE spellings ! I wonder if the same happens in England for syndicated columns.

I see you have said 'may well be acceptable in modern Indian English' above. I take it that 'acceptable' is not the same as 'correct'. Did I understand it correctly? For the purpose of various exams, depending upon who is correcting the papers, or the format of the exam (multiple choice or not), a student may lose marks or not.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I see you have said 'may well be acceptable in modern Indian English' above. I take it that 'acceptable' is not the same as 'correct'. Did I understand it correctly?
I generally prefer to use the word 'acceptable'. I find it less judgemental than 'correct'. It is also appropriate for examination boards. The point is not whether a usage is absolutely correct, but whether the examination board accepts it (as 'correct').

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I generally prefer to use the word 'acceptable'. I find it less judgemental than 'correct'. It is also appropriate for examination boards. The point is not whether a usage is absolutely correct, but whether the examination board accepts it (as 'correct').

OK, thank you.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.