Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Palestinian Territory
Hey,
Can you tell me if this story is written well or it needs any correction..? Actually it's an Arabis story and I translated it into English. I put it here in order to know if its meaning and lanuage used in it are sensible.

Here it is :

" This story happened with a guy who once slept in a lecture… so once, he woke up , at the end of the class, finding out that there are 3 mathematical problems written on the board. He wrote them down in order to do them as a homework.
He begun solving them and to his surprise the problems were so difficult to fathom. Solving them took him a very long time but he finally could solve them.
In the next day he went to his teacher complaining that these 3 exercises were so hard but he could solve them. the teacher asked him: " which problems are you talking about? "
" the ones you wrote on the board " , the student answered.
The teacher told him that he didn't want them to solve these cases. However, these were the problems that no one could solve around the world!! "
This story tells us that everything we do depends on our thinking and on our belief of our abilities. If he wasn't asleep while the teacher said that these are the most complicated problems, he will not even think of trying to solve them. "
Thanks, :)

februar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Hey,
Can you tell me if this story is written well or it needs any correction..? Actually it's an Arabic story and I translated it into English. I put it here in order to know if its meaning and language used in it are sensible.

Here it is :
This story happened with / is about a guy who [STRIKE]once[/STRIKE] was sleeping during a lecture. He finally woke up at the end of the class, finding out that there were three mathematical problems written on the board. He wrote them down in order to do them as homework.
He begun solving the problems and to his surprise they were so difficult to fathom. Solving them took him a very long time but he finally could solve them / found the solutions to them.
The next day he went to his teacher complaining that these three exercises were so hard but he had been able to solve them / found the answers. The teacher asked him: "Which problems are you talking about?"
"The ones you wrote on the board ", the student answered.
The teacher told him that he had not wanted them / the students to solve these cases. The fact was, these were those problems that / these problems were those which no one around the world had been able to solve!!"
This story tells us that everything we do depends on our thinking and on our belief of our abilities. If he had not fallen asleep while the teacher had been saying that these were the most complicated problems, he would not even have thought of trying to solve them. "
Thanks, :)
februar (no teacher)

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
februar (no teacher)

Mostly :up:
This story [STRIKE]happened with[/STRIKE] / is about a guy who :-?once:-? was sleeping (Better as just 'who fell asleep' - you've said it is a story, so it must have happened [or be said to have happened] 'once'.) during a lecture. He finally woke up at the end of the class, [STRIKE]finding out that there were[/STRIKE] 'and saw/noticed...' (he didn't 'find out' - discover - anything) three mathematical problems written on the board. He wrote them down in order to do them as homework.
He beg[STRIKE]u[/STRIKE]An solving the problems and to his surprise they were [STRIKE]so [/STRIKE] 'very/extremely/incredibly...' (or 'so difficult that it took him hours (or whatever) 'to solve them'; this sort of 'so' needs to be followed by 'that...') difficult to fathom. Solving them took him a very long time but he finally[STRIKE] could solve them[/STRIKE] / found the solutions to them. (Note that 'found' is a correction of 'could solve' and not just 'solve'.)
The next day he went to his teacher complaining that these three exercises were so hard, Note: this comma is important, it signals the fact that this is not an incomplete 'so ...that' expression. but he had [STRIKE]been able to solve them[/STRIKE] / found the answers. The teacher asked him: "Which problems are you talking about?"
"The ones you wrote on the board ", the student answered.
The teacher told him that he had not wanted them / the students to solve these cases (Maybe maths students talk about individual problems as 'cases', but the word choice seems a bit odd to me.) The fact was, these were [STRIKE]those [/STRIKE] (This correction was right. Saying 'those' makes the selection exclusive problems: as in 'Those students who have forgotten their dinner-money, see me after the class.' If you say 'those problems that no one..' then there are only three unsolved problems in the world!) that / these problems were [STRIKE]those which [/STRIKE] 'ones that' no one around the world had been able to solve!!"
This story tells us that everything we do depends on our thinking and on our belief [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] 'in' or 'about' our abilities. If he had not fallen asleep while the teacher had been saying that these were :-? the most complicated problems:-? 'unsolved', he would not even have thought of trying to solve them. "

b

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This is a very well-known story, which stirs the fantasy of math students around the world. The man's name was George Dantzig.

Status
Not open for further replies.