English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello there!
I'm looking for regular verbs that end in the unvoiced long e [i:] with the following 7 spelling endings ee ea e ei ie ey and i
Let me know! Thanks :-D

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That sounds like a homework to me.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hey there

ee-Bee.....
A couple of points, Don'tBanMe.

1. It is forum policy not to help with homework. This appears to be homework.
2. Fortunately no harm has been done. The OP asked for verbs, and you provided nouns, pronouns and adjectives.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A couple of points, Don'tBanMe.

1. It is forum policy not to help with homework. This appears to be homework.
2. Fortunately no harm has been done. The OP asked for verbs, and you provided nouns, pronouns and adjectives.

Whoops, dude. I didn't know he was asking for verbs. hehe
But then again, look at his member type. He's a teacher. That could be a teaching plan!
So, can't i help him?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
He's a teacher. That could be a teaching plan!
So, can't [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] help him?
If your contribution is helpful. I am not sure that the following words fall into the 'helpful' category:

i-alphabet B ?
ei- lei?, it has two pronunciation, /leɪ/ or / 'leɪi / ?

ps. I am old and old-fashioned enough not to appreciate being addressed as 'dude'.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello there!
I'm looking for regular verbs that end in the unvoiced long e [i:] with the following 7 spelling endings ee ea e ei ie ey and i
Let me know! Thanks :-D
You need the book that I haven't written yet, mapping vowel spellings to sounds! Faute de mieux, use OneLook Dictionary Search . :)

b

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
If your contribution is helpful. I am not sure that the following words fall into the 'helpful' category:

i-alphabet B ?
ei- lei?, it has two pronunciation, /leɪ/ or / 'leɪi / ?

ps. I am old and old-fashioned enough not to appreciate being addressed as 'dude'.

Well, I'm aware of that well. I know my answer is not very helpful hehe
By the way, sorry old man. I really don't wish to argue with you.- -
Why're you always provoking me?:)
Anyway, I'll try to improve myself. Thank you for your comment!:)

Newton Silva

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
:-D Thank you all for the reply! Yes I'm a teacher! so far I have found ee agree free see, ey key and i ski. Whatever you find for the other ending will be really helpful. Thanks a lot!

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
:-D Thank you all for the reply! Yes I'm a teacher! so far I have found ee agree free see, ey key and i ski. Whatever you find for the other ending will be really helpful. Thanks a lot!

That's great. Sorry, I'm busy preparing for my oral test which is scheduled tomorrow.
Man, I get used to speaking American English, but I have to pronounce each words in RP(received pronunciation) though. What a disaster to me. Hehe

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I've met 'tea' used as a verb, in the sense 'provide tea [and cakes/scones/buns...] for'; 'I don't know how I'm going to manage - we've got forty parties to be tead and toileted'. But this isn't a usage you'd want to teach. (It's worth remembering the old dictum though: 'Most any noun can be verbed.')

b

PS On the subject of /ti:/, there is a verb 'tee', usually met in the phrasal verbs 'tee up' and 'tee off'. There's also the fairly informal 'gee' (/ʤi:/), most common in 'gee up'. And 'knee' - ' hit with the knee' - as in ('Ref, send him off - He kneed the goalie in the groin!'). And 'pee', of course, though maybe not in mixed company. :)

Last edited:

Newton Silva

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I've met 'tea' used as a verb, in the sense 'provide tea [and cakes/scones/buns...] for'; 'I don't know how I'm going to manage - we've got forty parties to be tead and toileted'. But this isn't a usage you'd want to teach. (It's worth remembering the old dictum though: 'Most any noun can be verbed.')

b

PS On the subject of /ti:/, there is a verb 'tee', usually met in the phrasal verbs 'tee up' and 'tee off'. There's also the fairly informal 'gee' (/ʤi:/), most common in 'gee up'. And 'knee' - ' hit with the knee' - as in ('Ref, send him off - He kneed the goalie in the groin!'). And 'pee', of course, though maybe not in mixed company. :)

Thank you! very helpful! That's true "Most any noun can be verbed" I like that :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.