Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi!
I've got this short letter for homework...
It says the following:

You would like to travel to Britain where you, want to stay at youth hostels.You decide to be a member of the YHA.(It was unknown for me, but I was going to make it clear, and I reliased, that it means YouthHostelsAssoci....)

• Please, describe in 50 words, how you would like to spend your time there!
  • Introduce yourself, give your personal data!

And I have the problem with the last task:
  • The best writer will be awarded with a week stay at one of your youth hostels.FREE!

>>>What's that?It's not a task...Do I have youth hostels? :-D I did not know this....I think I won't say nuts, if I say that it is not a good exercise...

So, what shall I do with the last one?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi!
I've got this short letter for homework...
It says the following:

You would like to travel to Britain where you, want to stay at youth hostels.You decide to be a member of the YHA.(It was unknown for me, but I was going to make it clear, and I reliased, that it means YouthHostelsAssoci....)

• Please, describe in 50 words, how you would like to spend your time there!
  • Introduce yourself, give your personal data!

And I have the problem with the last task:
  • The best writer will be awarded with a week stay at one of your youth hostels.FREE!

>>>What's that?It's not a task...Do I have youth hostels? :-D I did not know this....I think I won't say nuts, if I say that it is not a good exercise...

So, what shall I do with the last one?

That makes no sense at all!! As you say, you don't own youth hostels so they can't give away a week's stay at your hostel.

It could be a typo and they mean "The best writer will be awarded a week's stay at one of OUR youth hostels" but that only makes sense if the competition is being organised by a company which owns youth hostels.

I think you need to seek clarification from your tutor and make it clear that the task has been badly written.

Last edited:

paulusz.krisztian

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Thanks, I thought the same, cause I didn't know about owning any hotels by me :-D Anyway thats a great new for me, cause it means, that I'm free for the rest of today. But if it would be a typo, I couldn't do anything with it...Cause it haven't gone to be a task this way.Not?
Thanks, the answer again!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks, I thought the same, because I didn't know [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]owning[/STRIKE] owned any hotels. [STRIKE]by me[/STRIKE] :-D Anyway, that's [STRIKE]a great new[/STRIKE] great news for me, because it means (no comma required) that I'm free for the rest of today.

But if it would be a typo, I couldn't do anything with it...Cause it haven't gone to be a task this way.Not? - I don't understand these two sentences at all.
Thanks again for the answer [STRIKE]again[/STRIKE]!

I'm glad you have the rest of the day free. I have made some amendments in red to your post. Please use "because" in full for now.

I didn't understand two of your sentences at all. Did you mean that if it's a typo, you wouldn't be able to do anything about it? "It haven't gone to be a task" is not correct and I can't work out what you meant to say. We also don't say "Not?" as a question.

paulusz.krisztian

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I meant, that if I agree it as a typo, and use it as OUR.(Not your).It won't become to a task...So this part of the exercise, stays bad this way too.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The comma in the first sentence is wrong too.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What do you mean by "task".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I also don't know how you can introduce yourself, include your personal information, say how you still spend your time in England, and do all this in only 50 words.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it might be 50 words on what they'd do and the personal information wouldn't count towards the total.

Status
Not open for further replies.