Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
As you know coherence and Unity are the two key elements for a successful essay. But honestly I can’t find a clear-cut distinction between them, and I feel that they are almost the same.
Unity means oneness and we should not be led astray from the main idea and talk irrelevantly which does not support the topic.
Coherence means that with the help of transitions and clear explanation of each idea in our writing we try to create links which help the readers move smoothly from idea to idea within the paragraph.
Can you illustrate the difference between them so that I have a better and clearer concept?

My second question, the word “concept” I used above is so close in meaning to “conception”. How would you briefly demonstrate their subtle difference and usage?

Jack_Rose

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Finland
Hey,

I would choose "concept" as you did?

Concept: more about idea for something

Conception: more about belief.

Sincerely,

J

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Coherence is the mechanics of connecting things together so that they flow nicely.

Unity is good in an essay. We must not waffle. Don't bring in irrelevant ideas. Support your topic.

This shows unity, but it's messy and hard to read because it lacks coherence. Why don't you have a go at turning it into something coherent that someone might read?

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.