tyu Guest

Amaterur natives are harmful for English learning?

I learn English from an amateur native speaker from London.
    She always corrects my gramatical mistakes.
    Her correction discourages me from going on, which is sometimes frustrating for me. Probably she thinks that she is doing a good thing, but it hampers smooth communications. Or honestly I feel that her correction can cripple my performance.
    She does not know words such as 'crowd pleaser', 'cost-effective' and 'condominium', but just says 'I've never heard these words!'.
    It's very stressful for me.
    I guess I should stop learning English from her. What do you think?
    One answer would be 'this is what an amateur self-absorption oriented English teaching is all about'. I know a psychological term 'pygmalion effect', but

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Amaterur natives are harmful for English learning?

Greetings tyu,

Just ask her to take notes when you make mistakes and ask her to correct you after you have finished speaking.

The word 'condominium' or 'condo' as used in the USA means 'an owner of an appartment or 'condo', but it als has 2 other meanings. I'm a 'native speaker' English Trainer and I'm still learning new words, both in English and German.

Q: What is a 'MagLev' or a 'Trasse'? Ask a German if he/she knows what an "(Der) Unruh" is. Just about every country/language/profession has its own special vocabulary.

I hope it works out for both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by tyu
    I learn English from an amateur native speaker from London.
    She always corrects my gramatical mistakes.
    Her correction discourages me from going on, which is sometimes frustrating for me. Probably she thinks that she is doing a good thing, but it hampers smooth communications. Or honestly I feel that her correction can cripple my performance.
    She does not know words such as 'crowd pleaser', 'cost-effective' and 'condominium', but just says 'I've never heard these words!'.
    It's very stressful for me.
    I guess I should stop learning English from her. What do you think?
    One answer would be 'this is what an amateur self-absorption oriented English teaching is all about'. I know a psychological term 'pygmalion effect', but
    Regards,
    Sid

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Amaterur natives are harmful for English learning?

There are disadvantages in learning from untrained teachers, Tyu, and you have run up against the most obvious-- the teacher makes you uncomfortable and unconfident.

If you have not already done so, present her with your concerns, much as you have written them to us, and ask her to modify her methods (as Kangaroo has suggested). However, if the atmosphere does not improve, I would suggest that you search for a different teacher. There are many skilled amateurs who can help you in constructive and productive ways.