"That brought tears to my eyes" What does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, everyone.

I posted a reply in a forum a few days ago. Today, when I logged in, I saw my comment was quoted by another guy. But I couldn't quite get what he meant.

Here is my comment.

One sad fact is that most guys I knew in my uni, including me, ended up disliking lives in their own flats. One of my flat mates had an ego ten times bigger than his body, which weighed around 100 kilos. In the third year, more than half of the guys in my flat moved out because of him. I didn't, but I would always stay in the neighbouring flat untill one or two in the morning. I really loved the people there and they loved me too. Looking back, I find it difficult to believe that for nearly two years, I regularly spent two or three hours in that flat, before I went to sleep. Yet we never ran out of laughters.

Here is this guy's comment.

That brought tears to my eyes

Does he mean It's really a sad story, or Dude, that hilarious and you've got my tears out?

Many thanks

Richard

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello, everyone.

I posted a reply in a forum a few days ago. Today, when I logged in, I saw my comment was quoted by another guy. But I couldn't quite get what he meant.

Here is my comment.

Here is this guy's comment.

Does he mean It's really a sad story, or Dude, that hilarious and you've got my tears out?

Many thanks

Richard
It means that you made him laugh.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It means that you made him laugh.

Hello, Bhaisahab.

Does this sentence only convey one meaning? Or it can also be used to mean the speaker feels sad in the right context.

Richard

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Does this sentence only convey one meaning? Or it can also be used to mean the speaker feels sad in the right context.
My personal view is that "That brought tears to my eyes" means "I was moved to tears by that - I thought it was very moving". Of course, it might have been meant sarcastically, in which case bhaisahab's reading is closer to the truth than mine. Without further context, which is probably lacking, it's hard to say.

Judging by this thread, and only by this thread, bhai is a cynic, and I am a romantic.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I must be an* apathetic then because I don't understand why the story would bring tears to anybody's eyes.

*this is incorrect

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Judging by this thread, and only by this thread, bhai is a cynic, and I am a romantic.
:shocked!: :lol:
If anyone accuses you of not being sarcastic (when needed ;-) ), just say a word, and I'll stand up for you. :mrgreen: (I should stress that it's not my own experience. ;-) :-D )

Finally a connoisseur! :up: :-D Fortunately, we can watch a lot of outstanding videos of great performers on YouTube, something which was impossible not so long ago. Of the many, many incredibly great recordings, here's another perfection: Montserrat Caballe's rendition of "Casta diva". (But why the bloody hell :bad-word: is there a dislike button? :-? )

Status
Not open for further replies.