Accent reduction (aiming at standard BE/RP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
:cry: I need 15 posts. After ten I can only send PMs to a few people, probably the moderators.
Well, I won't inflate my posts by another five yet because I don't want to become a nuisance.

It's a precaution to stop people from getting spammers sending messages asking for bank details in return for millions in gold. I actually thought it kicked in after ten. There's an option not to receive emails or private messages that people can choose, so you should be able to message anyone who has not chosen to block messages.

I'll check on this.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi birdeen,

I haven't had much opportunity to watch British films but will also try this avenue. So far I have only watched BBC news occasionally.

Another, rather technical question: how do private messages work on this forum? Or sending e-mail to members? I can't find the respective buttons anywhere (not in the User CP section, and no e-mail button in the post window either).
I would like to contact you - but it's a general question too.

Thanks.
Emka

Birdeen definitely has the email option switched off- I can't send one. You can test the 15 theory by replying to my posts.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
:cry: I need 15 posts. After ten I can only send PMs to a few people, probably the moderators.
Well, I won't inflate my posts by another five yet because I don't want to become a nuisance.

And one more to reply to- how are you? ;-)

emka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Great! So let's make some small talk :-D
If I were British, I would ask you about the weather...It's brilliant over here, by the way.
This should make 15 posts now...

emka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Ehm, no, only 13. Maths has never been my forte :oops:. Give me another ("how are you" was a good starter; talking about the weather was probably just as original; what else is there in the elevator-talk category you could ask me?).

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Birdeen definitely has the email option switched off- I can't send one.
I do. I have a special email address that I use when I register in various places on the internet so I don't get spammed. I have disabled emails from members because people would send me messages and wait forever for an answer. I don't check that address unless I have to. You can send a PM to me; I check them daily.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Ehm, no, only 13. Maths has never been my forte :oops:. Give me another ("how are you" was a good starter; talking about the weather was probably just as original; what else is there in the elevator-talk category you could ask me?).
Awkward silence is what I go for. ;-)

emka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Ok. So that should be a blank post then, shouldn't it?
But anyway, this is going to be post No. 15, and hopefully my PM will work after that.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The weather? It's the rainy season here. What's it like at your end?

emka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I shouldn't have counted my chickens before they hatch. It was blue skies and sun when I first wrote about the weather some two hours ago. Now it's clouds and drizzle.
But: private messaging works! :up:
I'm not sure whether I've mastered all the ins and outs yet, so Birdeen might get multiple messages or none at all, but I'm getting there...
Thank you for the nice chit-chat to bump up my number of posts. And from now on, I promise, I'll stay on topic again.;-)

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You're welcome. But I must say that moaning about drizzle sounds pretty weedy here. :-D

emka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
What do you mean by "here"? Here on the forum, because it is un-British to moan about the weather? Or here in the Philippines? But I'm not moaning at all, just stating a meteorological fact.;-)
Whatever you meant, your tongue-in-cheek comment was useful anyway because I learned a new word: weedy. I hadn't come across it in this figurative sense before. Is it British slang? Or a local expression?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Weedy is certainly used in British English- I don't know about other variants.

I meant it in comparison to the Philippines and it's very British to moan about the weather. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.