Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: British accent

  1. #11
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    44,174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: British accent

    This one gives you RP sounds (is thisthe accent you'relooking for?)
    thephonevoice's Channel - YouTube eg RP British Accent Training Part One - YouTube

    Have you tried this:
    PodOmatic | Podcast - Luke's English Podcast (podcasts and videos by a teacher in London)

  2. #12
    symaa is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: British accent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    This one gives you RP sounds (is thisthe accent you'relooking for?)
    thephonevoice's Channel - YouTube eg RP British Accent Training Part One - YouTube

    Have you tried this:
    PodOmatic | Podcast - Luke's English Podcast (podcasts and videos by a teacher in London)

    Thank you so much teacher for your interesting and help, I really appreciate it.

    Well, I want to learn British accent, and since there are regional variations throughout the uk, I want a mainstream BrE pronunciation, I've read that RP "in Wikipedia" that it is spoken only by 2% of british people in uk.
    I want to start learning British accent and British English in general, so I need the advice from British experts as you, teacher, because there is a total chaos in the internet.

    Thank you.
    Best regards,


    PS Happy stay in your new country.
    Last edited by symaa; 07-Oct-2011 at 00:48.

  3. #13
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    44,174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: British accent

    RP is basically a neutral accent that doesn't show strong regional features- I don't agree fully with the article about RP being the same as the Queen's English, though it does break RP into sub-categories. It's the pronunciation I would recommend as it's universally understood. The 2% figure can only be based on a forced definition of RP- it doesn't mean that you sound like the queen. I would say that I use RP and I don't sound like her.

    PS Thanks

  4. #14
    symaa is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: British accent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    RP is basically a neutral accent that doesn't show strong regional features- I don't agree fully with the article about RP being the same as the Queen's English, though it does break RP into sub-categories. It's the pronunciation I would recommend as it's universally understood. The 2% figure can only be based on a forced definition of RP- it doesn't mean that you sound like the queen. I would say that I use RP and I don't sound like her.

    PS Thanks
    Thank you, it seems when I read a part of this article that it is a very small minority who speak RP, but as it is it's universally understood as you said, I'll begin with the videos that you had suggested to me.

    Thank you so much.
    Have a nice day,

  5. #15
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: British accent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    RP is basically a neutral accent that doesn't show strong regional features
    I know I am being picky here, but some people don't like the use of 'neutral'. For people who speak other regional dialects, RP means 'Southern'. Some of us RP-speakers overlook this at times.

    I agree with the rest of Tdol's post, and have to admit that I have been known to use 'neutral' myself.

  6. #16
    symaa is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: British accent

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    .....some people don't like the use of 'neutral'. For people who speak other regional dialects, RP means 'Southern'. Some of us RP-speakers overlook this at times.
    Thank you teacher for the information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2009, 00:50
  2. british accent
    By mekha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-Apr-2009, 23:57
  3. [General] outstanding British accent and US accent, where are they from
    By legionalways in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Apr-2009, 11:45
  4. British Accent
    By sohail veerwani in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-Aug-2007, 00:32
  5. British accent
    By Fariba in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-May-2007, 07:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •