Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hello everybody,

The videos below are about British accent:

How to Speak With A British Accent - Long E Practice - YouTube
How to Speak With a British Accent: British Accent Short O Practice - YouTube

Well, she pronounce the /i/ as in "coffee","very" a little bit as the French é
Also the pronunciation of twenty thirty seems very strange to me .
Well, does she really speak with a british accent:-? ?

British English 002 - YouTube
I've a question about these video,
He did not pronounce the sound /r/ in are (like the prunonciation of the /r/ in teacher)

Could you please, as a native speakers, suggest some useful videos?;-)

Thank you in advance.
Best rgards.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The woman in the first two hasn't got a clue what she's talking about. The comments about her are correct, though rude. She's basically imitating some regional pronunciation, and doing it embarrassingly badly. It might have a certain comedy value, but as a means of teaching British pronunciation, it is simply rubbish.

Last edited:

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
The woman in the first two hasn't got a clue what she's talking about. The comments about her are correct, though rude. She's basically imitating some regional pronunciation, and doing it embarrassingly badly. It might have a certain comedy value, but as a means of teaching British pronunciation, it is simply rubbish.
Aha, thank you so much, I really want to hear some comments from British teachers who could commentate this the videos and the way she spoke.Would you please suggest me some useful videos?

I've also a question, please, about the third video, the /r/ in are is it non-rhotic?

Thank you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Here's a TV reaction to her- it's so bad it's been shown on TV: Graham Norton - How To Speak British with Tracy Goodwin - YouTube

The presenter, Graham Norton, is Irish.

Most speakers in England are non-rhotic, but as you go north into Scotland, it becomes more rhotic.

It depends what you're after. This site gives a good idea of the variations in English in the UK: Accents and dialects - Archival Sound Recordings

What exactly are you looking for? A general guide to fairly mainstream BrE pronunciation?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
PS Thanks for the links- I have added to my blog on the subject. ;-)

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They were interesting, and she's a much better example of British speech. She says that she thinks that Tracy Goodwin has never been to Britain, and she's probably right. I think that Tracy Goodwin may have cobbled her "rules" together from watching a few films, which would explain her strange exceptions to rules like gastric, and her use of dated words like rascal. Ms Goodwin manages to be so embarrassingly wrong that you can't help wondering whether it's a hoax, but it would appear not- she does videos on public speaking. There's also one on Australian English that caused similar reactions.

I would say that the pronunciation Ms Goodwin recommends for very does actually exist in some regional dialects- I grew up in a city, where it could be heard, but how she managed to turn this into a general rule is beyond me- maybe she hasn't even watched many British films.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Here's a TV reaction to her- it's so bad it's been shown on TV: Graham Norton - How To Speak British with Tracy Goodwin - YouTube

The presenter, Graham Norton, is Irish.

Most speakers in England are non-rhotic, but as you go north into Scotland, it becomes more rhotic.

It depends what you're after. This site gives a good idea of the variations in English in the UK: Accents and dialects - Archival Sound Recordings

Thank you teacher for your help.

You are right that is it's so bad it's been shown on TV, because even if she is not qualified to teach how to speak with a British accent, this TV show sounds rather a comedy one, I could not even watch it, it is not in that way we rectify other's mistake, they criticize her rudely and sarcastically though she may have a good intention, in return if she ’Tracy’ could not teach and speak perfectly with a British accent, she should simply give way to someone who is extremelywell qualified to teach British accent.

What exactly are you looking for? A general guide to fairly mainstream BrE pronunciation

Yes that's what I am in need, I'll be very grateful of your help.(By the way, English is my third language)

PS Thanks for the links- I have added to my blog on the subject. ;-)
You are the one who should be thanked, teachers like you deserve more than thanks, and so much recognition.

Excuse me the lenghty reply
Thank you again;-).
Respectfully yours,

Last edited:

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Thank you so much, it is kind of you to help me .
I'd also watched another video criticizing her with the same way.
Thank you.
All the best for you,
You are most welcome. :) I am glad you liked those videos. :)
Best wishes.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
This one gives you RP sounds (is thisthe accent you'relooking for?)
thephonevoice's Channel - YouTube eg RP British Accent Training Part One - YouTube

Have you tried this:
PodOmatic | Podcast - Luke's English Podcast (podcasts and videos by a teacher in London)

Thank you so much teacher for your interesting and help, I really appreciate it.

Well, I want to learn British accent, and since there are regional variations throughout the uk, I want a mainstream BrE pronunciation, I've read that RP "in Wikipedia" that it is spoken only by 2% of british people in uk:-?.
I want to start learning British accent and British English in general, so I need the advice from British experts as you, teacher, because there is a total chaos in the internet.

Thank you.
Best regards,

PS Happy stay in your new country.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
RP is basically a neutral accent that doesn't show strong regional features- I don't agree fully with the article about RP being the same as the Queen's English, though it does break RP into sub-categories. It's the pronunciation I would recommend as it's universally understood. The 2% figure can only be based on a forced definition of RP- it doesn't mean that you sound like the queen. I would say that I use RP and I don't sound like her.

PS Thanks

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
RP is basically a neutral accent that doesn't show strong regional features- I don't agree fully with the article about RP being the same as the Queen's English, though it does break RP into sub-categories. It's the pronunciation I would recommend as it's universally understood. The 2% figure can only be based on a forced definition of RP- it doesn't mean that you sound like the queen. I would say that I use RP and I don't sound like her.

PS Thanks
Thank you, it seems when I read a part of this article that it is a very small minority who speak RP, but as it is it's universally understood as you said, I'll begin with the videos that you had suggested to me.

Thank you so much.
Have a nice day,

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
RP is basically a neutral accent that doesn't show strong regional features
I know I am being picky here, but some people don't like the use of 'neutral'. For people who speak other regional dialects, RP means 'Southern'. Some of us RP-speakers overlook this at times.

I agree with the rest of Tdol's post, and have to admit that I have been known to use 'neutral' myself.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
.....some people don't like the use of 'neutral'. For people who speak other regional dialects, RP means 'Southern'. Some of us RP-speakers overlook this at times.
Thank you teacher for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.