Can we 'warm up somebody' for a bad news?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any verb (phrasal verb) we use for a situation in which we try to prepare soebody for a bad news! Say, a close relative of them has just passed away and we prefer not to put it directly, by talking to them and making them prepared.

Hope there is such an expression or verb!

Many thanks!

Alamshar

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Spain
I can' think of a phrasal verb or something nice and neat but you can say "to break it to them/him gently".
"break the news softly" or other variations with "break"

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: And, as the adverb implies, it is possible (though a bit Macchiavellian) to 'soften them up' before breaking it. But the verb is 'break' - attenuated by some adverb like gently/softly/delicately/with finesse...

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can also try to "cushion the blow."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'Cushion the blow' - break bad news about pain etc
'Sugar the pill' - break bad news about something unpleasant (e.g. higher tax)

Often they overlap.

b

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you dear posters for the helpful answers! Please put my questions down to my poor understanding of English. :(

Well, it's quite common that in some cultures, especially the ones in which people have some religious beliefs, people would try to calm each other down in case something disastrous happen to them. Before the news, say, of a person's death is broken we would normally hear someone say, 'well, you know, things happen...there're ups and downs in life...we've got to face the reality, etc.' none of which is the news itself.

I figure I shouldn't persist in getting a fixed expression for using such sentences. Am I right?

By the way, I should be so thankful for the choices you have given me. They're cool! Ta! :)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Well, it's quite common that in some cultures, especially the ones in which people have some religious beliefs, people would try to calm each other down in case something disastrous happen to them.
What does it have to do with religion? I haven't met many people who wouldn't try to comfort a distressed person and I know many irreligious folks.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Thank you dear posters for the helpful answers! Please put my questions down to my poor understanding of English. :(

Well, it's quite common that in some cultures, especially the ones in which people have some religious beliefs, people would try to calm each other down in case something disastrous happen to them. Before the news, say, of a person's death is broken we would normally hear someone say, 'well, you know, things happen...there're ups and downs in life...we've got to face the reality, etc.' none of which is the news itself.
These people are all "beating around the bush."

I figure I shouldn't persist in getting a fixed expression for using such sentences. Am I right?

By the way, I should be so thankful for the choices you have given me. They're cool! Ta! :)
H.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In British English it's "beating about the bush". I think the alliteration makes it more expressive.

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Death seems to attract blow-softening euphemisms. When my father popped his clogs (pop one's clogs - Wiktionary), I informed people that he had died; my mother said that he had passed away. An American friend wrote that she was sad to hear that he had passed. I hear passing without the away for the first time in the film Walk the Line.

I have never heard of an animal being killed when it’s very sick – it’s usually put down or put to sleep.

More expressions here: Euphemisms for Death/dead/to die | Listology

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS I've just noticed, Mehrgan, you keep saying 'a news'. It's not countable. A 'piece/bit/item/snippet... of news' is just that - you need to supply a countable noun before the word 'news' if you want it to be countable - but you can say 'break bad news' etc.

b

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A 'piece/bit/item/snippet... of news' is just that - you need to supply a countable noun before the word 'news' if you want it to be countable - but you can say 'break bad news' etc.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) Just have to share this true anecdote:

A famous newspaper publisher (1811 - 1872) used to insist that "news" was plural.

One day he sent a telegram to his office that read "Are there any news?"

Someone in the office telegraphed back: "Not a new."

(Source: The Little, Brown Book of Anecdotes, edited by Clifton Fadiman.)

P.S. My dictionary tells me that, in fact, the word "news" is the plural of the word "new.")

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
"I was wondering if there is any verb (phrasal verb) we use for a situation in which we try to prepare soebody for a bad news! Say, a close relative of them has just passed away and we prefer not to put it directly, by talking to them and making them prepared."

Getting back to the original question: In situations where it is not immediately apparent that death has occurred, one expression I have always liked is "May we sit?" (or a variation thereof). I believe that simply hearing these words, then sitting down, helps prepare the listener(s) for bad news. Sometimes, as in an emergency room, the physician doesn't have the luxury of asking the question - the outcome is often painfully obvious. In that situation, the phrase "I'm so sorry for your loss" says it all and is sometimes even stoically received.
John

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
A 'piece/bit/item/snippet... of news' is just that - you need to supply a countable noun before the word 'news' if you want it to be countable - but you can say 'break bad news' etc.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) Just have to share this true anecdote:

A famous newspaper publisher (1811 - 1872) used to insist that "news" was plural.

One day he sent a telegram to his office that read "Are there any news?"

Someone in the office telegraphed back: "Not a new."

(Source: The Little, Brown Book of Anecdotes, edited by Clifton Fadiman.)

P.S. My dictionary tells me that, in fact, the word "news" is the plural of the word "new.")
I've always wanted this to be true!

waflob

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
nvm - thread has moved on

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
PS I've just noticed, Mehrgan, you keep saying 'a news'. It's not countable. A 'piece/bit/item/snippet... of news' is just that - you need to supply a countable noun before the word 'news' if you want it to be countable - but you can say 'break bad news' etc.

b

Many thanks! And, sorry! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.