Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I found the following term on a Japanese site:
"Release of drawings"
It refers to the act of issuing drawings after they are registered.

Is it possible to use "output" in the following case if the drawings are created, registered, and issued electronically?
"We created and registered these drawings. You can output the drawings anywhere at anytime subject to our approval."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my experience, "releasing" drawings has to do with the drawings being formally approved for use (in manufacturing or for further design based on the drawings). It has nothing to do with whether they are printed on paper or not.

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
In my experience, "releasing" drawings has to do with the drawings being formally approved for use (in manufacturing or for further design based on the drawings). It has nothing to do with whether they are printed on paper or not.

Thanks. I felt that "release of drawings" sounded like as if the drawings are actually issued and physically distributed.

Isn't it possible to say, "You can ouput the drawing to the screen" if it is not physically distributed?

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Saying, "You can output the drawing to the screen" seems awkward to me.

"You can upload the drawings to your computer" makes more sense to me. After all, to get data to a screen, it has to travel through some sort of processor, right?

Or why not simply, "You can use the drawings anywhere and at anytime, subject to our approval."

Status
Not open for further replies.