Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

What do we call different equipment and machines found at a gym (treadmill, rowing machine, non-electrical equipment)? Is the term 'gym machines'? I'm afraid 'gym/sports equipment' may conjure up images of barbells, mats, weights, ropes etc. What I'm trying to describe is:

My second question is about the verb 'work out' - do we use it to talk about any kind of physical exercise? Would taking, say, a step class at a gym be considered as 'working out', or does the verb imply using errr... machines?

Thank you!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "exercise equipment" covers it all. And yes, a "work out" is any physical activity.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thanks, SoothingDave!

And what would be the most natural way to use the term?
"I'm going to the gym and use some equipment". Sounds horrible! I guess the best way to put it would be 'I'm going to the gym and work out a bit", but some people who ask me this machine/equipment question every now and then aren't happy with 'work out' - they want to make mention of the equipment.
Maybe "work out with some equipment"?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Simply "i'm going to the gym" works for most people. Or "I'm going to work out." "I'm going to the gym to work out" isn't necessarily redundant.

If you want to be specific, then you would say something like "I'm going to go walk/run on the treadmill" or "I'm going to ride the exercise bike" or similar.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thanks! Now I know what to say :)

Status
Not open for further replies.