Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Greetings-

I am drawing morphology trees and I am stuck.

I have to do one for the words, geekiness, conversational and retrovirus.

I am thinking the converstationally can be this way or just conversational-ly which would make it just adverb (highes branch/ top) then adjective extended branch...

My biggest issue, however is geekiness.

geeky which is the root word is a adjective, but the ness makes it a noun. Can a noun modify a adjective to make a new noun?
spinning.gif
spinning.gif

PLEAAAAAAASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• trees.png
    trees.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 27

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Greetings-

I am drawing morphology trees and I am stuck.

I have to do one for the words, geekiness, conversational and retrovirus.

I am thinking the converstationally can be this way or just conversational-ly which would make it just adverb (highes branch/ top) then adjective extended branch...

My biggest issue, however is geekiness.

geeky which is the root word is a adjective, but the ness makes it a noun. Can a noun modify a adjective to make a new noun?
spinning.gif
spinning.gif

Yes, but ness is not a noun, it's simply another morpheme (and see below).

PLEAAAAAAASE HELP!!!!!!!!
Your diagrams look strange. Are you inferring that 'retrovirus' is made from adding 'us' to 'retrovir'?
The morphology of a word has nothing to do with nouns modifying adjectives, etc. It's about morphemes modifying other morphemes or words to make new words.
Are you sure 'geeky' is the root?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To pursue Raymott's last question a bit, 'geekiness' is characteristic behaviour. But of whom?

b

Jimmy C

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think he just meant to show (us) to inform that the it belongs to the root "virus". With regards to the first three, "Retroviral", you are correct in identifying the end result as an adjective. The root is virus, which attaches to "al" to form "viral". You will attach "Retro" last since "Retro" is more likely to attach to an adjective than a noun. With yur second word, "conversationally", the root is actually a verb, "converse". Attach "ation" to make it a noun, "al' to make it an "adjective" and finally, "ly" to make it an adverb. This is basically the answer but I will leave the actual trees to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.