• Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Correct us of Apostrophe

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMommaSue
    Quite an oration, rhapsomatrics! I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of making some minor, but necessary, modifications.
    WELCOME Tracy!

Personally, if I had seen the title "The Americas Manager" (without the apostrophe) it wouldn't have bothered me at all. However, "The America's Manager" implies only one of the American continents (so this one is not an option). America is singular, Americas is the plural form. To use an apostrophe to show possession for the plural form that ends in "s" you merely put it after the final "s". The point of possession is sticky here, but when I look at "The Americas' Manager" I think of "The Manager of The Americas" (so this one works). "The Manager of The Americas" sounds the best, even though it is longer, and it evokes less confusion, in my opinion.

Let's wait to see what the other grammarians say. . .

Smiles!
    SMS

Dear sweetmomma, I got your sarcastic repost to my flak and all I could do was "marvel".Very sly oratory!
    Much as I do not regale in joining issues,especially at infantile levels like these,I am conscripted by ego to send this rejoinder(improperly so-called).My "little" knowledge of the use of the indefinite articles (A) and (An) shows that they can only be used to identify ONE out of other possibles...a man...meaning..one man out of several others...an issue...ONE out of several...Since there are no two examples or forms of apostrophe such as there are no two moons or suns, for example,I think your so-called modification that quoted.."an apostrophe"was largely under-informed.It is the same as "a moon" or "a sun"...what expression!..."the apostrophe"would've done the "magic"
    Similarly,countries that take "s" such as "NETHERLANDS" "BAHAMAS" and,of course,your "AMARICAS" should take the definite article..." the netherlands"..the Bahamas"..."the Americas"...with regard to this,the quoted part of your diatribe begs for elucidation.
    However,I must not fail to acknowledge your academic magnanimity which saw you go out of your way to "help a friend".I look forward to having more of such very rare privileges...
    "contraction" not abbreviation" in that context(good )..oh!lest I forget,you seem to "be at sea" as to the semantic purport of the adjective "loose" at the end of my "balderdash"(I'm sure to have put a smile on your face).Well,a loose expression is such that lacks merit and cannot enjoy "popular election".
    Last edited by rhapsomatrics; 15-Oct-2005 at 07:54.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Correct us of Apostrophe

It seems to me that there are two issues here: the question and the direction the thread has taken.

With the question, I see the problem as stemming from there being one continent and one country with the name 'America', so I see 'Americas' as referring to regions of the continent, so the use of the plural makes sense. I wouldn't use an apostrophe, but if I had to, it would come after the 's'. My reason for this is that other managerial positions don't take apostrophes. I think the relationship is not really one of possession- we don't say 'Accounts' Manager', so I would say the 'Americas Manager', or, to avoid any confusion, use a term like Regional Manager and then classify it. Others may well see it differently.

With the direction the thread has taken, may I ask for thing to be a bit less heated? Posting on forums can lead to misunderstandings- forums are asynchronous and we are posting across continents to strangers. Disagreement is fine, but when arguments break out, the problem is that they stay there for everyone to see, and they don't greatly benefit the learners trying to work out the answer. It is easy to get the wrong idea from someone's post, and equally easy to make mistakes- I'm the king of typos and other errors. However, in-fighting ultimately just sours things, so can we please try to avoid it? If someone posts something you feel is an attack, it is a good idea to use private messaging to ask them about it, and ask them, if necessary, to remove or edit the post. It is better not to deal with these things in public, because long after the argument has subsided, the row remains onsite. Undermining one undermines all in the end, and no one benefits.

Many thanks.

rhapsomatrics is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

I am really very sorry if my last post was rather too acerbic.I do agree to the fact that divergence in opinion is not only needful but equally indispensable to an equitable dispensation of "justice".I have never been known to be pettifogging and neither do I relish in unnecessary cavil,yet,failure to respond,to me,would have amounted to "intellectual inferiority".
    Now I know I AM WRONG...MY APOLOGIES TO "SWEETMOMMA" in particular and "EVERYBODY" in general. I am sorry!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The Americas Manager is best because Americas becomes an adjective. Which manager is he? The Americas Manager.

Post Thanks / Like

funnily enough, I just registered to ask a question about apostrophes, odd to find it top of the pile already.

Two questions really, both linked, I'm sure the first is an old chsetnut.

1. James' book or James's book? We're arguing over this in the office. One colleague thinks that it's different rules for surnames? Thus is it "Mr Davis'" or "Mr Davis's"? Also what about words that aren't names that end in "s", in the possessive - ie "the Marquess'" or "the Marquess's"?

2. What about when names ending in s go in the plural? Let's take "Mr Davis, Mrs Davis and all the little Davises". That's OK, right? But what about when this family of Davises own something? Would you say "we're off to the Davises's for dinner?! That's a bit of a mouthful!

Post Thanks / Like

hi every one i just wanted to know the difference between the two words America and Americas

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

The plural is usuaully used to refer to all of the continent- South, Central and North.

PINKGREAT is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Correct us of Apostrophe

'America' is a noun, but as we have a deal with both of Americas, it could be like that:

Americas' manager.

Jaguar is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello.
    I've got a question regarding 'apostrophes' that came up in my class the other day.
    Which of the following is correct:

Jesus's friends
    or
    Jesus' friends

And

Jesus's friend
    or
    Jesus' friend

I can't seem get my brain around this at the moment
    I think I need a break!
    Cheers
    Jag