Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default dried, punch, store sugar

    Dear teachers,

    I have three questinos to ask:
    We are asked to replace the italicized words with choices given.
    No.1
    When the sun blazed on the wilted corn we walked around the edge of the new ground to plan a fence.

    a. drooping b. dried

    I have no idear which to choose to replace "wilted". "A" should be correct but "drooping" means it is wilting. Is that right? "b" is not proper because if corn is dried that means it has died. Is that right?

    No.2
    The snake is now limber as a shoestring in the wind. He threw her (the snake's body) riddled body back on the sand.
    a. punched with holes b. white and mysterious
    c. seriously wounded d. wound closely
    The key should be "c". Is that right?

    No.3
    I have difficulties understanding the expression "store sugar" in the sentence:

    There is a stroe full of candy, salt and store sugar.
    Does "store sugar" mean "sugar that is stored in the store? Or there is a lot of sugar?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  2. #2
    J&K Tutoring is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: dried, punch, store sugar

    1. Jiang- I can appreciate your confusion, because both you and I obviously know more about corn than the writer of this question! I think I'll go with drooping.

    2. A is the correct response, though we (AE) use the word riddled most typically in reference to holes made by bullets or shot, not punched.

    3. Not sure what "store sugar" might be- maybe processed, granulated sugar as opposed to raw, cane sugar or syrup. I think if the reference was to a large quantity, to be sold off in smaller lots (as you suggest), it would be called bulk sugar.

  3. #3
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: dried, punch, store sugar

    Hi J&K tutoring,

    Thank you very much for help. Now I see.

    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by J&K Tutoring View Post
    1. Jiang- I can appreciate your confusion, because both you and I obviously know more about corn than the writer of this question! I think I'll go with drooping.

    2. A is the correct response, though we (AE) use the word riddled most typically in reference to holes made by bullets or shot, not punched.

    3. Not sure what "store sugar" might be- maybe processed, granulated sugar as opposed to raw, cane sugar or syrup. I think if the reference was to a large quantity, to be sold off in smaller lots (as you suggest), it would be called bulk sugar.

  4. #4
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: dried, punch, store sugar

    In a country that has only recently attempted to introduce the teaching of English on a large scale, Chinese teachers of English are achieving impressive results. However, many are having to use materials that were prepared by writers who themselves had access to only a very limited range of authentic materials. So, you will doubtless come across whole texts that are very unnatural, and uses of indvidual words and expressions that are extremely strange.

  5. #5
    SoothingDave is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,908
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: dried, punch, store sugar

    A is the correct response, though we (AE) use the word riddled most typically in reference to holes made by bullets or shot, not punched.
    I would say the only use that is common would be in the phrase "riddled with holes."

  6. #6
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: dried, punch, store sugar

    Hi fivejedjon,

    I am so glad that you understand our situation. It is exactly as you said.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    In a country that has only recently attempted to introduce the teaching of English on a large scale, Chinese teachers of English are achieving impressive results. However, many are having to use materials that were prepared by writers who themselves had access to only a very limited range of authentic materials. So, you will doubtless come across whole texts that are very unnatural, and uses of indvidual words and expressions that are extremely strange.

  7. #7
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: dried, punch, store sugar

    Hi SoothingDave,

    Do you mean "A" is not a well-designed choice? Such thing has happened many times.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    I would say the only use that is common would be in the phrase "riddled with holes."

  8. #8
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: dried, punch, store sugar

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    I am so glad that you understand our situation. It is exactly as you said.
    I worked there.

  9. #9
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: dried, punch, store sugar

    Hi,

    Your worked here? I hope you enjoyed your stay here and welcome back!

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    I worked there.

  10. #10
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: dried, punch, store sugar

    Hi J&K Tutoring:

    I have just got the key to the first question. It is "dried"!! I think it is a mistake. Do you think so?

    I send it to all the teachers who replied my question to all the teachers who replied my thread.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by J&K Tutoring View Post
    1. Jiang- I can appreciate your confusion, because both you and I obviously know more about corn than the writer of this question! I think I'll go with drooping.

    2. A is the correct response, though we (AE) use the word riddled most typically in reference to holes made by bullets or shot, not punched.

    3. Not sure what "store sugar" might be- maybe processed, granulated sugar as opposed to raw, cane sugar or syrup. I think if the reference was to a large quantity, to be sold off in smaller lots (as you suggest), it would be called bulk sugar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-May-2011, 23:07
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Jan-2011, 11:39
  3. dried mammoth =?
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2008, 07:15
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-Jan-2004, 23:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •