Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

I have three questinos to ask:
We are asked to replace the italicized words with choices given.
No.1
When the sun blazed on the wilted corn we walked around the edge of the new ground to plan a fence.

a. drooping b. dried

I have no idear which to choose to replace "wilted". "A" should be correct but "drooping" means it is wilting. Is that right? "b" is not proper because if corn is dried that means it has died. Is that right?

No.2
The snake is now limber as a shoestring in the wind. He threw her (the snake's body) riddled body back on the sand.
a. punched with holes b. white and mysterious
c. seriously wounded d. wound closely
The key should be "c". Is that right?

No.3
I have difficulties understanding the expression "store sugar" in the sentence:

There is a stroe full of candy, salt and store sugar.
Does "store sugar" mean "sugar that is stored in the store? Or there is a lot of sugar?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.

Jiang

J

J&K Tutoring

1. Jiang- I can appreciate your confusion, because both you and I obviously know more about corn than the writer of this question! I think I'll go with drooping.

2. A is the correct response, though we (AE) use the word riddled most typically in reference to holes made by bullets or shot, not punched.

3. Not sure what "store sugar" might be- maybe processed, granulated sugar as opposed to raw, cane sugar or syrup. I think if the reference was to a large quantity, to be sold off in smaller lots (as you suggest), it would be called bulk sugar.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi J&K tutoring,

Thank you very much for help. Now I see.

Jiang

1. Jiang- I can appreciate your confusion, because both you and I obviously know more about corn than the writer of this question! I think I'll go with drooping.

2. A is the correct response, though we (AE) use the word riddled most typically in reference to holes made by bullets or shot, not punched.

3. Not sure what "store sugar" might be- maybe processed, granulated sugar as opposed to raw, cane sugar or syrup. I think if the reference was to a large quantity, to be sold off in smaller lots (as you suggest), it would be called bulk sugar.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In a country that has only recently attempted to introduce the teaching of English on a large scale, Chinese teachers of English are achieving impressive results. However, many are having to use materials that were prepared by writers who themselves had access to only a very limited range of authentic materials. So, you will doubtless come across whole texts that are very unnatural, and uses of indvidual words and expressions that are extremely strange.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A is the correct response, though we (AE) use the word riddled most typically in reference to holes made by bullets or shot, not punched.

I would say the only use that is common would be in the phrase "riddled with holes."

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi fivejedjon,

I am so glad that you understand our situation. It is exactly as you said.

Jiang
In a country that has only recently attempted to introduce the teaching of English on a large scale, Chinese teachers of English are achieving impressive results. However, many are having to use materials that were prepared by writers who themselves had access to only a very limited range of authentic materials. So, you will doubtless come across whole texts that are very unnatural, and uses of indvidual words and expressions that are extremely strange.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi SoothingDave,

Do you mean "A" is not a well-designed choice? Such thing has happened many times.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.

Jiang
I would say the only use that is common would be in the phrase "riddled with holes."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi J&K Tutoring:

I have just got the key to the first question. It is "dried"!! I think it is a mistake. Do you think so?

I send it to all the teachers who replied my question to all the teachers who replied my thread.

Jiang

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi fivejedjon,

I have just got the key to the first question. It is "dried"!! I think it is a mistake. Do you think so?
I send it to all the teachers who replied my question to all the teachers who replied my thread.

Jiang

J

J&K Tutoring

When plants don't get enough water, they droop long before they dry. I think I'd argue that one.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi J&K Tutoring,

Thank you very much for your reply. When you say "I'd argue that one" I think you mean you don't think "dried" is correct.

Jiang
When plants don't get enough water, they droop long before they dry. I think I'd argue that one.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Or is it possible that the corn had already died? If that is the case how can we know whether it is drooping or died? What's more But the definition from Longman Contemporay English is "if a plant wilts, it bends over because it is too dry or old [↪ droop]". It does say it dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.