• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Mannerism / Idiosyncrasy

I'm trying to put together an essay about child obesity. I'm having a lot of trouble doing so and I was wondering if you can help me out a bit.

Most of you probably don't know about this (because this is Canada-specific issue) but Ontario Premier announed a plan to mandate 20-minute daily phys ed in elementary school curriculum. And I'm writing an essay about whether the plan works or not.

My take in this issue is that it doesn't work or has very insignificant effect on child obesity, partly because this structured and forced 20-minute workout a day... now here's where my problem comes in. I was going to say '...and forced 20-minuite workout a day may trip / fall into / susceptable to mannerism.' But I don't exactly know what mannerism means in English (the word is probably used differently in Korea) and it seems like it doesn't make much sense that way.

What I'm trying to get across is that the teachers will enforce the 20-minute workout to kids in school because it's a law but may not be too enthusiastic about it and just leave them in a gym and let them do whatever they want for 20-minute instead of being really serious about it. Even for those teachers who might have been serious about it for the first few days find their enthusiasm wane off as the program becomes a daily, mundane and drab thing. Simply put, they get used to it in bad sense I guess.

If it's not mannerism or idiosyncrasy, what words / phrases can I use to describe this? Please help me out, I still have over a week for my essay and I'm almost wrapping it up so you can take your time. Any input will not go unappreciated. Thank you all!
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 13-Oct-2005 at 22:32.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mannerism / Idiosyncrasy

How about 'token gesture', where people do the minimum to comply?