Thread: help

mohammad Guest

help

Hi

Everybody
    Would you please help me with this

“The experts say that hitting a snooze alarm over and over again to wake up is not the best way to feel rested”

According to this sentence, why is “hitting a snooze alarm over and over again to wake up” a good way (not the best way) to feel rested?

It doesn’t at all make sense to think that hitting a snooze alarm over and over again
    Would make you feel rested

Maybe I’ve gotten it wrong please help me

Thanks

cner01 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Laos
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: help

I'm not the teacher but i think i could somehow explain it to you you a little.
    "Best way" that means there's only one way that would give you a total satisfaction. So when you " hit" a snooze alarm over and over gain, you had chopped up your sleep time unknowingly, and this affects the quality of your sleep. Let's say you have 1hr to sleep, then it's obvious that you would have a better sleep if you slept 1hr straight as to sleeping for 10' then wake up, hit the snooze alarm and back to sleep for another 10' then wake up, hit the snooze alarm again, then back to sleep and you did this repeatedly for 6 times which also added up to 1hr of sleep time.

Since the snooze alarm is designed to wake you up after a nap (a short sleep.) which never lets you go into a deep sleep, and a deep sleep is always much better than a nap. So hitting a snooze alarm over and over again to wake you up is not the best way to feel rested. It may still satisfy you somehow, but you might not feeling as good as you would after a straight sleep.

So it's not the best way to wake you up by hitting a snooze larm over and over again. People use snooze alarm because they want to sleep 5, 10 or even 20 more minutes. It's best that you think of a latest posible time which allows you not to be late for your work, then set the alarm up to that time so that you will have a straight sleep. That would give you a better quality sleep.
    Last edited by cner01; 14-Oct-2005 at 05:16.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: help

I agree with Cner's analysis, but I love snooze alarms.