Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi everyone, I'm from Malaysia and in our country we are using british english. This morning, my teacher asked me "have you eaten", i stuned for awhile and answered "I have eaten already." my question is, should i answer i ate already instead of i have eaten already? in addtion, can somebody list me the usage of past participle?? like have forgotten, has forgotten, been forgotten and..? thats all i know. thanks a lot=)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi everyone, I'm from Malaysia and in our country we are using british english. This morning, my teacher asked me "have you eaten", i stuned for awhile and answered "I have eaten already." my question is, should i answer i ate already instead of i have eaten already? in addtion, can somebody list me the usage of past participle?? like have forgotten, has forgotten, been forgotten and..? thats all i know. thanks a lot=)
If the question is, "Have you eaten?" the appropriate response would be "Yes I have (thank you)" or "No, I haven't".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi everyone, I'm from Malaysia and in our country we [STRIKE]are using[/STRIKE] use British English. This morning, my teacher asked me "Have you eaten?" I was stunned for a while and answered "I have eaten already."

My question is, should I answer "I ate already" instead of "I have eaten already"?

In addtion, can somebody [STRIKE]list me[/STRIKE] explain the usage of past participle[STRIKE]??[/STRIKE] like "have forgotten, has forgotten, been forgotten?

That's all[STRIKE] I know[/STRIKE]. Thanks a lot. =)

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Please see the changes I have made to your post above - it will be very helpful for you (and for us) if you work very hard to use correct capitalisation and punctuation in your posts.

Most importantly:

1) Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular)
2) Start every sentence with a capital letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.