Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Thailand
"Keep your car doors locked, and your windows rolled up at all times." Is this a command which makes it a compound sentence with 2 hidden subjects (you) inside the sentence ? Or is it a simple sentence ? I think it's a compound sentence.

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Keep your car doors locked, and your windows rolled up at all times."

NOT A TEACHER

(1) I most respectfully and humbly suggest that this sentence is a simple sentence.

(2) Let's simplify it for easier analysis:

(You) + keep + doors (locked) and windows (rolled up).

(3) You = subject.

(4) keep = verb.

(5) doors = object ("locked" is objective complement of "doors," describing the state of the door).

(6) windows = object ("rolled up" is objective complement of "windows," describing the ...).

(7) doors and windows = compounded object.

(8) I respectfully suggest that the comma after "locked" should not be there. It has

given the false impression of the sentence being a compound one, which -- IMHO -- it

definitely is not.

(9) It is similar to any other command with a compounded object:

Eat up all your broccoli and tomatoes!

(10) It could be analyzed as a compound sentence only if the speaker's intention was

to order:

You keep your doors locked, and you keep your windows rolled up at all times!

Of course, I do not know the intentions of the speaker, but I humbly suggest that the

speaker was saying:

Keep doors locked and windows rolled up!

(Of course, if a teacher shows my analysis to be flawed, I shall immediately delete this post. We non-teachers are warned against misleading readers.)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My view is that as there are two verb-object pairs the comma is unexceptionable. If it were 'Keep your doors and windows shut' on the other hand there'd be no need for a comma. But I don't really see the value of calling the original sentence compound.

PS I'm happy for TP's analysis to remain. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.