Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear teachers,

While reading a psychological paper, I have some difficulties in understanding the following sentence. Could you please give me some hints or explanations? Thank you very much.

"There has been a strong philosophical inclination in liberal Western cultures, at least since the Enlightenment, to emphasize the causal role of independent, self-reliant individuals in shaping events."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
People use 'philopsophical' in a number of ways/. The first clause could mean that there is a strong inclination among philosophers. But 'philosophical' is often used in a more general sense, to do with attitudes: 'Sometimes you just have to take the philosophical view, and roll with the punches.' (This usage is deplored by some people, but the usage is so common that I think they just have to live with it!)

The Age of Enlightenment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is a recognized period/movement, also known as 'The Age of Reason'. At this time, philosophers started arguing that previously-held notions of destiny and fate were wrong - that things happened because people did things that caused them ('the causal role of independent, self-reliant individuals in shaping events.')

b

PS In this context, I'm pretty sure the 'philosophical' is referring to a tendency among people writing in the context of philosophy.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note that your title should have been Comprehension difficulties.

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I assumed that there was no error here, and that the OP just didn't know where to start in trying to understand the sentence, because his/her lack of understaning was comprehensive. I agree though that 'comprehension difficulties' is more likely.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.