Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What is "reading a long text in our own language"? Was this written by a non-English speaker? What does "a long text" mean? the carefully chosen extracts? I don't get it at all.....

ex)It is true that concentrating on some selected highlights of the work constitutes a form of sampling that does not guarantee an overall grasp of the whole work. But then does any method ever do that? Even if teachers read through and explain every single word of a shorter text in class, can they be sure that what has undoubtedly been taught has also been learnt? We feel that if we choose extracts carefully and present them throught enjoyable group activities, our students have more chance of gaining true familiarity with any work of English as a whole. After all, such an approach replicates the experience of reading a long text in our own language. We may well read it from beginning to end, but it will not exist as a chronological entity in our minds. Our memory will impose its own overview, lingering upon some aspects rather than others, telescoping events, organizing new configurations.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is "reading a long text in our own language"? Was this written by a non-English speaker? What does "a long text" mean? the carefully chosen extracts? I don't get it at all.....

ex)It is true that concentrating on some selected highlights of the work constitutes a form of sampling that does not guarantee an overall grasp of the whole work. But then does any method ever do that? Even if teachers read through and explain every single word of a shorter text in class, can they be sure that what has undoubtedly been taught has also been learnt? We feel that if we choose extracts carefully and present them throught enjoyable group activities, our students have more chance of gaining true familiarity with any work of English as a whole. After all, such an approach replicates the experience of reading a long text in our own language. We may well read it from beginning to end, but it will not exist as a chronological entity in our minds. Our memory will impose its own overview, lingering upon some aspects rather than others, telescoping events, organizing new configurations.

"Text" is just a word used to describe any piece of writing, so "a long text" is a piece of written work which is long (contains many words).

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"Text" is just a word used to describe any piece of writing, so "a long text" is a piece of written work which is long (contains many words).
What I asked was in "reading a long text in our own language" if our own language means a foreign language other than English and also I don't clearly understand the later part...I'm sorry I'm at a loss what to ask, the whole paragraph is all greek to me..I'd better think a lot..

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What I asked was in "reading a long text in our own language" if our own language means a foreign language other than English ...
One of the things you asked was :
What does "a long text" mean?
emsr2d2 answered that. Thank you, emsr2d2.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One of the things you asked was : emsr2d2 answered that. Thank you, emsr2d2.

Phew. Thanks. I thought I was going slightly mad.

Anyway, "a text in our own language" (in your original piece) means a text written in whatever your native language is.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank a lot! Is the author saying to truly understand a literary work, we need to have a joyful reading activity which will lead to memorize it far better than when we just memorize a text either long or short in a boring way? I'm actually curious about the theme the writer is trying to make. The last underlined sentence is also hard to understand...Could you give me a hand?

ex)......Our memory will impose its own overview, lingering upon some aspects rather than others, telescoping events, organizing new configurations.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank a lot! Is the author saying to truly understand a literary work, we need to have a joyful reading activity which will lead to memorize it far better than when we just memorize a text either long or short in a boring way? I'm actually curious about the theme the writer is trying to make. The last underlined sentence is also hard to understand...Could you give me a hand?

ex)......Our memory will impose its own overview, lingering upon some aspects rather than others, telescoping events, organizing new configurations.

If someone can summarize the theme by one sentence or two, I can get the meaning of every part.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Our memory will impose its own overview - the picture of the work that we have in our memory may be different from the work itself; our memory creates a picture of its own
lingering upon some aspects rather than others - it will spend more time on some aspects of the work than others
telescoping events - it will shorten, abridge, run together some events
organizing new configurations - it will makes new arrangements, orderings of some events.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Our memory will impose its own overview - the picture of the work that we have in our memory may be different from the work itself; our memory creates a picture of its own
lingering upon some aspects rather than others - it will spend more time on some aspects of the work than others
telescoping events - it will shorten, abridge, run together some events
organizing new configurations - it will makes new arrangements, orderings of some events.

Thanks a lot Master, but I meant the summary of the whole following writing in one sentence or two, I can't understand so many parts of the writing, I really feel stupid..I'm sorry!!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If a group of people read the same text or the same extracts from a text, they will not all get the same impression from it. Everyone's experience or impression of a piece of written work, whether they read it themselves or it is taught to them, is affected by their own personal experiences and feelings.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If a group of people read the same text or the same extracts from a text, they will not all get the same impression from it. Everyone's experience or impression of a piece of written work, whether they read it themselves or it is taught to them, is affected by their own personal experiences and feelings.

That's what I wanted!!!! Perfetto!! Che Buon!! Great!!!! :up::up::up::up::up::up::up::lol::lol::lol:
You are the man!!! I was really impressed to death!!!!!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
emsr2d2 might not be happy about that, unless she has changed dramatically.

Oh, I don't know! At least I'd be able to pee standing up, and walk around topless without people staring! ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Don't be too sure of that. When I walk around topless, people stare, (but it's not in lust or admiration).

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is emsr2d2 a female? I never knew she is..I thought she is him.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It doesn't matter in this forum; it's the answers that are important. The only time it crops up at all is if we refer to a member by a third person pronoun. If the name doesn't make the gender clear (as in Bob, Verona), Some of us use s/he (she/he); others use they; others still make a guess, and sometimes get it wrong. Nobody is offended.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn't matter in this forum; it's the answers that are important. The only time it crops up at all is if we refer to a member by a third person pronoun. If the name doesn't make the gender clear (as in Bob, Verona), Some of us use s/he (she/he); others use they; others still make a guess, and sometimes get it wrong. Nobody is offended.

Absolutely right. I normally take no notice if I'm referred to as male, but occasionally if I have answered and someone posts "Thank you sir", for some reason, I feel obliged to put them right. I don't know why, but I'm certainly not offended.

It's interesting though, that most students will assume that a teacher is male unless their name makes it clear otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.