Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Miss Payroll

  1. #1
    jimcool is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Miss Payroll

    "To make payroll" and "to meet payroll" are established phrases. Does "to miss payroll" exist in standard English?

  2. #2
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    22,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Miss Payroll

    Quote Originally Posted by jimcool View Post
    "To make payroll" and "to meet payroll" are established phrases. Does "to miss payroll" exist in standard English?
    I'm guessing that perhaps I don't work in the right department/sector to have heard "make/meet payroll" and I have no idea what they mean. I can only assume they mean that a company can cover the cost of the wages/salaries of its employees, so "miss payroll" would mean that they can't cover the cost.

    5jj's favourite resource, Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA) only gives one example of its use.

    For slight amusement value, I would like to add that when I saw the title, I thought perhaps we would be seeing an entrant in the 2011 Miss Economic World Contest!

  3. #3
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Miss Payroll

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    It's a great resource. Until that and the British National Corpus (BYU-BNC) became available, we had to use our own feelings when we were asked whether an expression was used ot not.

    With over 500 million words, these corpora give a pretty objective answer to the question. We do have to remember, however, that together they contain fewer words than are spoken every day in Britain alone. The absence of a word or expression from the corpora, does not mean that it is not used, though such absence strongly suggests that it is not commonly used - yet.

    We must also remember that the fact that an example of its use is cited in the corpora does not mean that it is necessarily to be considered 'correct', or that it is used in all varieties of English.
    Last edited by 5jj; 17-Oct-2011 at 09:21. Reason: typo

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    22,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Miss Payroll

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It's a great resource. Until that and the British National Corpus (BYU-BNC) became available, we had to use our own feelings when we were asked whether an expression was used ot not.

    With over 500 million words, these corpora give a pretty objective answer to the question. We do have to remember, however, that together they contain fewer words than are spoken every day in Britain alone. The absence of a word or expression from the corpora, does not mean that it is not used, though such absence strongly suggests that it is not commonly used - yet.

    We must also remember that the fact that an example of its use is cited in the corpora does not meaan that it is necessarily to be considered 'correct', or that it is used in all varieties of English.
    Absolutely, especially the last paragraph.

    I checked it on the British version and wasn't surprised to see that it didn't appear. Even "payroll" alone isn't a terribly BrE phrase, more AmE. We do have "payroll departments" in companies, but I would think that we would say simply "can't cover salaries this month" or something similar. I think we would use a negative statement "We can't cover...", "We are unable to meet..." than "We will miss payroll".

  5. #5
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Miss Payroll

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I checked it on the British version and wasn't surprised to see that it didn't appear.
    Quite. In fact, I was about to tell jimcool earlier that make payroll and meet payroll were not standard expressions, when I thought I'd better check in COCA. - fortunately.

  6. #6
    jimcool is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Miss Payroll

    "meet payroll", "make payroll", and "miss payroll" are not real English.

  7. #7
    birdeen's call is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Miss Payroll

    Quote Originally Posted by jimcool View Post
    "meet payroll", "make payroll", and "miss payroll" are not real English.
    Hmm? No, they actually are.

  8. #8
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    22,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Miss Payroll

    Quote Originally Posted by jimcool View Post
    "meet payroll", "make payroll", and "miss payroll" are not real English.
    1) That's not true.
    2) That's a very sweeping statement.
    3) What do you mean by "real English"?

  9. #9
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Miss Payroll

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    Hmm? No, they actually are.
    I've never met them; but I did work in a company where the concept of the 'payroll date' was important; and in the Payroll department it's not unlikely that in context the phrase might be abbreviated to 'payroll' with no risk of misunderstanding.

    We then come to phrasal verbs that incorporate the word 'date'. You can 'miss a date', 'make a date', and 'meet a date'.

    Example: suppose that an Expenses claim must be made, say, 10 working days before the payroll date (=the date when all necessary bank transfers are initated) if payment is to be made before the following payroll date. Someone might reasonably say 'I've got to do my expenses tonight or I'll miss payroll'. (This is all speculation. As I said, I've never met the expressions, but this is the sort of work environment in which I imagine they might be used.)


    b

Similar Threads

  1. Miss
    By zrahmdel in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Mar-2008, 10:38
  2. Miss.
    By zrahmdel in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2008, 23:21
  3. miss
    By tekhlezgi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Feb-2008, 20:05
  4. Payroll number
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2005, 16:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •