Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Anonymous Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    The technical argument is that the comparative 'sooner' should be followed by 'than'. Many people say 'when', however. :wink:

I see. If you happen to have any particular comments with regards to what I posted at the top of the thread, it would be appreciated. I did searches for the subject of "inverted word order" in English and didn't come up with anything to speak of. Maybe I don't know how to search for this subject in the best way on the net.

:( :? :)

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TALKtown
    A similar sentence using "when" instead of "than" is in this text. Perhaps it's just the context that allows for it, but it is the same sentence structure using "when" instead of "than". I will add that the other examples I found only use "than".

http://www.schmoozeletter.com/schmoo...r/html/43.html

We started to walk back across the gravel parking lot, and no sooner did I have the key in the car door when I heard my wife screaming, "Oh no! Oh, oh, oh!"
    I can see why somebody might use when, but "no sooner did" already carries the sense of the immediacy of the moment: no sooner did this happen than that happened.

<My two cents. >

Anonymous Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by TALKtown
    A similar sentence using "when" instead of "than" is in this text. Perhaps it's just the context that allows for it, but it is the same sentence structure using "when" instead of "than". I will add that the other examples I found only use "than".

http://www.schmoozeletter.com/schmoo...r/html/43.html

We started to walk back across the gravel parking lot, and no sooner did I have the key in the car door when I heard my wife screaming, "Oh no! Oh, oh, oh!"
    I can see why somebody might use when, but "no sooner did" already carries the sense of the immediacy of the moment: no sooner did this happen than that happened.

<My two cents. >

Two cents noted. <no sooner - sense of immediacy>

Using "than" also makes more sense because "sooner" is a comparative form. "sooner than"

But TDOL already said that.

Anonymous Guest
    Here's a link that might get this disussion about inversions moving.

We could post more examples of inverted word order.

I would never have thought of this had I not seen it.

Never would I have thought of this had I not seen it. - if I had not seen it.

http://forums.about.com/UsingEnglish...ges?msg=3234.6

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about Inversions - Inverted Word Order

To be honest, inversion strikes me as a lot of work for a learner with little genuine benefit. It helps with exams, but is, by and large, avoided like the plague.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably a bit late to add to the topic. But anyway, here goes.
    It's true that we don't use inversions very often, but sometimes they are necessary (like when you need to use them in exams).
    About the 'no sooner' sentence ... 'than' is grammatically more correct than 'when'. You could also use the past perfect: No sooner HAD Emily put the phone down than it rang again. (should there be a comma after 'down'?)
    Inversions are used basically when there is a negative word or idea at the beginning of the sentence. A few more examples:
    Not until I got home DID I REALISE I'd fogotten to buy some bread.
    Never HAVE I HEARD such rubbish.
    We also invert the verb in some type of conditional ideas without using 'if', as 'cityspeak' pointed out.
    I could go on, but doing a search in 'google' would probably give you better results that I can.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lib
    Probably a bit late to add to the topic. But anyway, here goes.
    It's never too late. :)

It's true that we don't use inversions very often, but sometimes they are necessary (like when you need to use them in exams).
    About the 'no sooner' sentence ... 'than' is grammatically more correct than 'when'. You could also use the past perfect: No sooner HAD Emily put the phone down than it rang again. (should there be a comma after 'down'?)
    Nope. No comma after down.

Inversions are used basically when there is a negative word or idea at the beginning of the sentence. A few more examples:
    Not until I got home DID I REALISE I'd fogotten to buy some bread.
    Never HAVE I HEARD such rubbish.
    We also invert the verb in some type of conditional ideas without using 'if', as 'cityspeak' pointed out.
    I could go on, but doing a search in 'google' would probably give you better results that I can.
    Good examples! Thanks. :D

8)

Anonymous Guest

To be honest, inversion strikes me as a lot of work for a learner with little genuine benefit. It helps with exams, but is, by and large, avoided like the plague.

Even at an advanced level?

I think after someone has attained fluency, it is simply something to add on to fluency. - part of knowing the language as completely as possible.

We use inversions, but don't think about it. It's not conscious. It may not occur often, but I would still think of it as part of learning the language entirely.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    I meant that students avoid them like the plague. How often have you heard a student say 'no sooner had I...' in genuine speech?

Anonymous Guest
    I meant that students avoid them like the plague. How often have you heard a student say 'no sooner had I...' in genuine speech?

I see. I didn't realize you had meant the students.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast