Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Quoted from VOA news"
"For a college dropout, Jobs did quite well. A billionaire many times over, Jobs was the ultimate salesman, a man who seemed to know what consumers wanted even before they did."
"There was so much more that was yet to come, even though he was so accomplished, and that is what we worry about now. Why?
Because every product from Apple spoke like it was Steve Jobs. He was represented by this stuff, and I am not going to put out just some great stuff, it has got to be insanely great. That is how he wanted to appear to the world," said Wozniak.
MY questions are:
1.What does "A billionaire many times over" mean? I understand " many time over " means "sth happens repeatedly", so does that mean Steve Jobs has been a billionaire many times ? like he's a billionaire one time, and then next btime he's not, and after that he's a billionaire again, ao so on?
2.what does "I" refer to , does it refer to Steve Job , or Wozniak?who 's gonna put out some insanely great stuff?
Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
He possessed many billion dollars. "A billionaire many times over" suggests that each of his individual billions made him, separately a billionaire.

Michael84

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Quoted from VOA news"
"There was so much more that was yet to come, even though he was so accomplished, and that is what we worry about now. Why?
Because every product from Apple spoke like it was Steve Jobs. He was represented by this stuff, and I am not going to put out just some great stuff, it has got to be insanely great. That is how he wanted to appear to the world," said Wozniak.
MY questions are:

2.what does "I" refer to , does it refer to Steve Job , or Wozniak?who 's gonna put out some insanely great stuff?
Thanks.

I=Steve Jobs.
This is reported speech of Wozniak in which he mentions Jobs. Also: Jobs was the presenter whereas Wozniak was/is the inventor (they founded Apple together).

emka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
If he had "only" possessed a number of millions (I wish I had this sort of petty cash...;-)) he could also be called a multi-millionaire. Would multi-billionaire also be possible by analogy?

Not that a millionaire or billionaire many times over sounds bad, but if you need a shorter word, e.g. when writing to fit exactly the space available, would this be an alternative?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If he had "only" possessed a number of millions (I wish I had this sort of petty cash...;-)) he could also be called a multi-millionaire. Would multi-billionaire also be possible by analogy?
Yes

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I=Steve Jobs.
This is reported speech of Wozniak in which he mentions Jobs. Also: Jobs was the presenter whereas Wozniak was/is the inventor (they founded Apple together).

But the speech was made by Wozniak,"I "should refer to the speech maker Wozniak. If "I "was intended to refer to Jobs, why not use he?
"There was so much more that was yet to come, even though he (Jobs)was so accomplished, and that is what we worry about now. Why?
Because every product from Apple spoke like it was Steve Jobs. He(Jobs) was represented by this stuff, and I (who?)am not going to put out just some great stuff, it has got to be insanely great. That is how he (Jobs)wanted to appear to the world," said Wozniak.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This would not be a particularly clear piece of writing, but it is from a speech. Wozniak would have made it clear in the way he uttered the words that he was speaking as Jobs. As he says, "That is how he (Jobs)wanted to appear to the world,"

Status
Not open for further replies.