Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
What's the exact meaning of to have a monkey on one's back and in which context it is suitable to use?

1) to be a pain in the neck
2) to be a burden to someone/to have a burden

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
This is the only context in which I've heard this term used. The Free Dictionary gives other contexts. Look here. monkey - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

It's really weird because yestarday I was talking to an American friend of mine and he said to me, kidding: Oh Gosh, you're a monkey on my back....
I thought he meant something like: you're a pain in the neck...or something similar...:-o:-o

P.S. I'm not addicted to any sort of drugs and I do not have any problems with alcohol either...;-)

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
It's really weird because yestarday I was talking to an American friend of mine and he said to me, kidding: Oh Gosh, you're a monkey on my back....
I thought he meant something like: you're a pain in the neck...or something similar...:-o:-o

P.S. I'm not addicted to any sort of drugs and I do not have any problems with alcohol either...;-)
Well, are you "a serious problem that won't go away?":) As he said it tongue in cheek, I think your interpretation is probably correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.