Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the process of teaching a course online, I am trying to introduce the subject of linguistics in such a way that 14-year-olds can relate to it. This I am doing to better prepare them for the study foreign languages. I would LOVE to get some feedback on what I am doing. It is entirely possible that I am presenting some misinformation.

If anyone out there is willing to consider this and comment, you can find my work on YouTube. The channel is "mrbisse1", and the part of the course where linguistics is understaken starts around video 34.1. If any of you have suggestions, it is not too late to have them help.

Thanks,

Frank Antonson

Jimmy C

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
How interesting. I always wished I had taken intro to linguistics when I was in high school. That is because after having taken it, grammar and sentence forming just seem so much easier and expressive. It is like discovering that your smart phone can do more than just call and receive, it can also send pictures, songs, surf etc. Perhaps not a very good analogy but kudos for trying to bring linguistics into the mainstream. I will be keeping close eye on its development.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks, Jimmy C,

Linguistics really IS VERY interesting, but it can be made to be so scary. I suspect that naturally people are very interested. Just think how they react to hearing someone speak slightly differently from them.

I hope that you watch at least about three or four more of my videos on this subject. After that, my presentation of linguistics will end up settling into something that will seem a little more like work.

Frank

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am on a hotel connection and can't get any sound working, but watching the first video I wanted to, which is a good indicator. I will get back to you when I can hear you. ;-)

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tidol,

Thanks so much! I am having considerable trouble with the synchronization of the sound with the video, but there seems to be no easy solution to that.

People on this forum know SO MUCH about linguistics that I very much would like to hear what they think about what I am trying to do.

There will only be about four more videos before I leave linguistics as my primary focus. After that, I will return to the subject as it becomes convenient in the study of English morphology and syntax, and then the foreign languages that I will deal with.

Again, thanks.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.