Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Personal Profile

John has always achieved excellent academic results in Primary five and got a “1st position in form” in examinations for the whole Academic year 2010/2011.

Note: There are 4 classes per form.

1) Is it correct for the above sentence in writing?
2) Is it correct for the above sentence in spoken English?

Many thanks.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
As a NES, but not a teacher, I would have no personal problem with your sentence, either as written or spoken English (BrE), but would probably have said that he was "... top of his form (4 separate classes) in examinations for the whole Academic year 2010/2011.
Hope this helps
R21

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
As a NES, but not a teacher, I would have no personal problem with your sentence, either as written or spoken English (BrE), but would probably have said that he was "... top of his form (4 separate classes) in examinations for the whole Academic year 2010/2011.
Hope this helps
R21

Thanks for your help, Route 21.

Can we say he is (not was) top of his form, when John has just got the result recently?

But if he got a “2nd position , can we say he was "... top of his form? And if he got a 10th position in form" , how do we say in written and spoken Englsh?

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
a) "Is" vs "was":
I would have no real problem with "is" other than the fact that the exams occurred in the past - hence my use of "was".
b) I would have said/written that he was second/tenth, overall, in his form's examinations for the whole Academic year 2010/2011.
Regards
R21

Status
Not open for further replies.