[Grammar] Coud any native speaker of English help me out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

Here are a number of quotes:

-They who know their speech is part of their performance will speak less unless the speech is useful for them.

-When one dies, all he (one) has done will end except his (one's) child's good deeds, a science is useful for people and an eternal good deed.

Which one is correct, his or one's?

-O my God, help all men to improve their actions because their own good will end to my own good.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
We would be able to understand your problem a lot easier if you advise which you think are correct and why.

Regards
R21

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I only want to know if the sentences are grammatically correct or not.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hello,

Here are a number of quotes: .......

Which one is correct, "his" or "one's"?

Which one do you think is correct and why?
Then we can advise whether your thoughts are correct or not.

Regards
R21

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Which one do you think is correct and why?
Then we can advise whether your thoughts are correct or not.

Regards
R21
I think that the first and the the last sentences are correct; however, I wonder if the second one is totally correct.
I have a problem with pronounces that when you use "one" and "one's",or "he", "she" and "someone" and sometimes I have faced with "they" in stead of "someone" or "somebody" especially in dictionaries.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hello,
Here are a number of quotes:
-They who know their speech is part of their performance will speak less unless the speech is useful for them.
-When one dies, all he (one) has done will end except his (one's) child's good deeds, a science is useful for people and an eternal good deed.
Which one is correct, his or one's?
-O my God, help all men to improve their actions because their own good will end to my own good.

Your original post didn't ask if the sentences are grammatically correct or not and so the answer provided reflected the actual specific question posed above.

As a NES, but not a teacher, I believe all 3 quotes create problems for me as a NES.

What I believe you may mean by the sentences is (albeit a bit archaic, reflecting the possible poetic nature of the probable source):

1. "Those who realise that their performance will be judged by their speech are likely to speak only when it advances their cause."
2. (to avoid multiple repetitions of "one's) "When one dies, all (one has/you have) done will end except (one's/your) children's good deeds."
- I can't quite see the connection with (or understand meaning of) the remainder of the sentence ("a science is useful for people and an eternal good deed").
3. "O God, help all men to improve their actions, because their good actions will, in the end, be to my benefit."

The above suggestions only reflect possible intent. I would leave it to teachers to correct any of my own possible grammatical errors.

Hope this helps
R21

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Your original post didn't ask if the sentences are grammatically correct or not and so the answer provided reflected the actual specific question posed above.

As a NES, but not a teacher, I believe all 3 quotes create problems for me as a NES.

What I believe you may mean by the sentences is (albeit a bit archaic, reflecting the possible poetic nature of the probable source):

1. "Those who realise that their performance will be judged by their speech are likely to speak only when it advances their cause."
2. (to avoid multiple repetitions of "one's) "When one dies, all (one has/you have) done will end except (one's/your) children's good deeds."
- I can't quite see the connection with (or understand meaning of) the remainder of the sentence ("a science is useful for people and an eternal good deed").
3. "O God, help all men to improve their actions, because their good actions will, in the end, be to my benefit."

The above suggestions only reflect possible intent. I would leave it to teachers to correct any of my own possible grammatical errors.

Hope this helps
R21
Hello
Thank you very much for your editing.
I just enclosed "Grammar"in the brackets put on the left side of the title of "Editing&Writing Topics".

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello
Thank you very much for your editing.
I just enclosed "Grammar"in the brackets put on the left side of the title of "Editing&Writing Topics".
The remainder of the sentence means that " A science that can help people and a good action that can continue after one's death like building schools, hospitals, and universities that all be useful forever or doing an action like teaching to students and help them educated.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
I think I now understand better what you were saying.

I might have written the remainder of the sentence as:

".. other than the legacy of your own and your children's good deeds, new scientific discoveries/principles, building/funding of schools, hospitals or universities or educating students, that can continue to benefit mankind after your death."

The sentence is, however, somewhat long and involves too many items to easily remember in one go. It may be better to include from: "new scientific... to ... students" in a second sentence e.g. "Such good deeds could include ......".

Hope this helps
R21

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Status