Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I organized a birthdya party for my 90th grandpa. A hotel staff adviced me to arranged a dance ball at the party. Or a dance party at the party.

Which one is acceptable? Or do you have any other advice?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You organised a party for your grandfather's 90th (birthday) rather than for your 90th grandfather. A member of the hotel staff advised you to arrange a dance at the party.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I organized a birthdya party for my 90th grandpa. A hotel staff adviced me to arranged a dance ball at the party. Or a dance party at the party.

Which one is acceptable? Or do you have any other advice?

I organised a party for my grandfather's 90th birthday. A member of the hotel staff suggested that I organise a dance.

I organised a party for my grandfather's 90th birthday. A member of the hotel staff suggested that I organise a ball.

A member of the hotel staff suggested that I organise a party for my grandfather's 90th birthday.

A ball is a party specifically with dancing - quite old-fashioned, probably ballroom, dancing.
A disco would be the same - a party with pop/rock music and people dancing.
A simple party could be anything - it's just a group of people together celebrating something. There might be music, there might not. There might be food, there might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.