Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, dear teachers. I am here again, because I need your help.
I perfer to communicate by e-mail than by phone.
The common structure is prefer to do sth rather than do sth. Can rather be ommitted in this structure? Is the upper sentence right?
Thank you very very very much!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, dear teachers. I am here again, because I need your help.
The common structure is prefer to do sth rather than do sth. Can rather be ommitted in this structure? Is the upper sentence right?
Thank you very very very much!

I think it sounds much more natural without "rather".

I prefer to swim than drive.
I prefer to eat than drink.
He prefers to write letters than send emails.

I choose to swim rather than drive.

If I were to use "rather", then I would use it in place of "prefer".

I would rather swim than drive.
I would rather eat than drink.
He would rather write a letter than send an email.

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

ONLY A NON-TEACHER'S OPINION

(1) The teacher has given us an excellent answer.

(2) Here are some opinions from experts (not from me):

(a) "He preferred to take the train rather than to fly./ He preferred to take the train
rather than a plane. (Experts: Wilma and David Ebbitt in the sixth edition of Perrin's Index to English.)

(b) You want to know whether "rather" can be omitted. Here is one expert's opinion: "Plain [only] than seems to have no defenders and to be rarely used." (Expert: Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, 1989.)

(c) We can say "I prefer to wait and see rather than jump to conclusions" or "I prefer to wait and see instead of jumping to conclusions." (Expert: Wilson Follett in his Modern American Usage, 1980.)

(d) You can say "I prefer to watch baseball rather than to watch movies" or "I prefer watching baseball to watching movies." (Expert: Theodore M. Bernstein in his Dos, Don'ts & Maybes of English Usage, 1977.)

(e) "I should prefer to start early rather than have to travel in crowded trains."
"Than must not be used without rather after prefer." (Expert: A.S. Hornby in A Guide to Patterns and Usage in English, 1966.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Than must not be used without rather after prefer." (Expert: A.S. Hornby in A Guide to Patterns and Usage in English, 1966.)"

Wow, so basically everything I said is contradictory to this 1966 rule. Who knew?!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, actually he wrote the rule in 1954, so it's now 57 years old.

I don't like 'prefer ... (rather) than ...'; I use gerunds:

I prefer swimming to driving.
I prefer eating to drinking.
He prefers writing ... to sending ...

I prefer starting early to having to travel in crowded trains.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Mind you, he also started his sentence with "I should prefer ..." not just "I prefer ..."

The "I should prefer ..." construction to me sounds like it's from a Jane Austen novel.

"I should prefer, Mr Darcy, that you not swim in my fountain at all, rather than do so and exit with such an appearance that it causes my heart to flutter."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A few speakers of Br Eng still say 'I should <verb>', especially in the context of hazarding an opinion: 'I should think/say/guess...', and in idiomatic expressions such 'I should think so too' (which is not a guess about the future, but agreement with some behaviour: 'Nick came to the funeral.'/'I should think so too, she was his mother after all') and 'I should be so lucky'. But otherwise 'I should <verb> is going the way of the dinosaur - though some of us have more saurian tendencies than others. ;-)

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A few speakers of Br Eng still say 'I should <verb>', especially in the context of hazarding an opinion: 'I should think/say/guess...', and in idiomatic expressions such 'I should think so too' (which is not a guess about the future, but agreement with some behaviour: 'Nick came to the funeral.'/'I should think so too, she was his mother after all') and 'I should be so lucky'. But otherwise 'I should <verb> is going the way of the dinosaur - though some of us have more saurian tendencies than others. ;-)

b

I certainly still use "I should think so too" - probably too often! My grandfather always used "I should say ..." whereas I'm more used to "I would say that ..."

tianhang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A wold of thanks to all of you, my dear teachers. You are great, though we are strangers.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You are great, though we are strangers.
Well, English unites us (except for Limeys and Yanks, when it sometimes unties us.;-))

tianhang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Well, English unites us (except for Limeys and Yanks, when it sometimes unties us.;-))
I am sorry, but I am confused by your remarks. According to your file, you are from England. So why except for Limeys? I really can't make of it. Sorry again. If possible, you please make it clear to me. Thanks a lot!:roll:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am sorry, but I am confused by your remarks
I was using old fashioned (Limeys = English people) and inappropriate (Yanks = everybody from the USA) expressions to make a weak attempt at humour. English unites all the members of this forum, except for the special case of English and American people, who are untied (divided) by their different versions of English.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

(1) Please remember, Tianhang, that a British person might be offended if you call

him/her a limey.

(a) I understand that many, many years ago, British sailors were getting very sick. So

the navy started giving them limes to eat. And their sickness went away.

(b) Of course, the word limey is nothing like certain insulting words for certain

races or nationalities, but probably learners should not use it when speaking with a

British person.

(2) I think that most Americans would NOT be offended by the use of "Yank" or "Yankee," especially if you smile and show that you are using it in a friendly, affectionate manner.

(a) Of course, sometimes it is meant as an insult. I understand that sometimes people in some countries write on the walls: Go home, Yankee! (They are NOT being friendly or affectionate!)

tianhang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was using old fashioned (Limeys = English people) and inappropriate (Yanks = everybody from the USA) expressions to make a weak attempt at humour. English unites all the members of this forum, except for the special case of English and American people, who are untied (divided) by their different versions of English.

Thank you! I can understand you now.

tianhang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
NOT A TEACHER

(1) Please remember, Tianhang, that a British person might be offended if you call

him/her a limey.

Yes, I will keep it in mind. Actually, I just quoted what teacher 5jj said in my post. I won't use the two words in the future. Thank you for the culture lesson.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thank you! I can understand you now.

You'll hear people say that England and America are two countries divided by a common language.It is supposed to be a quotation from George Bernard Shaw, but he probably didn't say it.Oscar Wilde did say that We have everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.