Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
United States
A step in a cooking recipe reads:

"Cook the pasta in the boiling water until tender but not mushy. While the pasta is cooking, purée 11/2 cups of the herbs with 4 tablespoons oil, the garlic and some salt and pepper in a mini food processor or blender; leave the sauce rough or add a little water if you want it smoother. Drain the pasta, reserving about a cup of its cooking liquid. Toss the pasta with the herb sauce and most of the remaining herbs, adding the reserved liquid if the mixture seems dry. Top with the meatballs, garnish with Parmesan and the last of the herbs and serve."

How come it is "4 tablespoons oil" and not "4 tablespoons of oil"?

Last edited:

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
It should be 4 tablespoons of oil, but recipes are no place to look for grammatically correct English. They're a bit like song lyrics. Most of the time, the person writing the recipe is more concerned with the food than the structure. It's not unusual to see highly abbreviated phrases in recipes.

John

wendxb

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
United States
I thought one only drops "a", "an", "the" in abbreviated English.

Then, I should also drop prepositions like "of", "to", "in" when writing abbreviated English?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In theory, you can omit them in these type of writings if the meaning remains clear to the reader. I would be cautious about trying to write "abbreviated English" as a student.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Personally, Wendxb, I never drop articles or prepositions as a matter of principle.
I believe that the goal of communication should be understanding and clarity.
Just because someone has removed the preposition "of" in "4 teaspoons oil" does not mean you can remove articles and prepositions whenever you wish.
Soothing Dave has it right: learn English very, very well before tackling how to write abbreviated English.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.