Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,437
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    were discussed vs were being discussed during

    "The issues that were discussed during the editing staff meeting need to be dealt with as soon as possible."

    If I didn't know whether they were through discussing the issues, could I say ""The issues that were being discussed during the editing staff meeting need to be dealt with as soon as possible."?
    Last edited by ostap77; 25-Oct-2011 at 12:09. Reason: misspelling

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: were discussed vs were being discussed during

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "The issues , that were discussed during the editing staff meeting, need to be dealt with as soon as possible."

    If I didn't know whether they were through discussing the issues, could I say ""The issues , that were being discussed during the editing staff meeting, need to be dealt with as soon as possible."?
    You could say that anyway.

    If it's a non-defining relative clause, you must have 'which', not 'that'. If it's a defining relative clause, 'that' is fine, but drop the commas.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,437
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: were discussed vs were being discussed during

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    You could say that anyway.

    If it's a non-defining relative clause, you must have 'which', not 'that'. If it's a defining relative clause, 'that' is fine, but drop the commas.
    Which sentence is more likely to be uttered ".....that were being discussed ....." or ".......that were discussed......."?

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: were discussed vs were being discussed during

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Which sentence is more likely to be uttered ".....that were being discussed ....." or ".......that were discussed......."?
    ostap, this questio has been dealt with many times in these forums - sometimes in threads started by you. Which is more likely/appropriate depends on the full context and what is going through the speaker's mind at the moment of speaking.

Similar Threads

  1. as discussed above
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Oct-2010, 14:00
  2. will be discussed?
    By saeta in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2009, 02:51
  3. doubt abt "which is to be discussed"
    By sumansen in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Mar-2006, 07:46
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2006, 00:43
  5. as discussed above
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Jun-2005, 02:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •