Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"The issues that were discussed during the editing staff meeting need to be dealt with as soon as possible."

If I didn't know whether they were through discussing the issues, could I say ""The issues that were being discussed during the editing staff meeting need to be dealt with as soon as possible."?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"The issues , that were discussed during the editing staff meeting, need to be dealt with as soon as possible."

If I didn't know whether they were through discussing the issues, could I say ""The issues , that were being discussed during the editing staff meeting, need to be dealt with as soon as possible."?
You could say that anyway.

If it's a non-defining relative clause, you must have 'which', not 'that'. If it's a defining relative clause, 'that' is fine, but drop the commas.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
You could say that anyway.

If it's a non-defining relative clause, you must have 'which', not 'that'. If it's a defining relative clause, 'that' is fine, but drop the commas.

Which sentence is more likely to be uttered ".....that were being discussed ....." or ".......that were discussed......."?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Which sentence is more likely to be uttered ".....that were being discussed ....." or ".......that were discussed......."?
ostap, this questio has been dealt with many times in these forums - sometimes in threads started by you. Which is more likely/appropriate depends on the full context and what is going through the speaker's mind at the moment of speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.