I don't understand this: He will make his presence felt soon. How to use[felt]at this

Status
Not open for further replies.

lst715

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello teacher.:)
I have a question.
When I read an article on the Internet, I saw this expression.

--> The 26-year-old summer signing from Monaco arrived with a smaller reputation than some of Arsenal's new recruits but Wenger believes he will make his presence felt soon.

I don't get it because I've known the usage of make verb like this.
:S + make + object + objective complement(infinitive)

However, the sentence above is used with "felt", not infinitive.
I think it should be "feel" but there is no expressions when I searched the expression "make presence feel soon" and then I knew what I thought was wrong.

How can I understand this? grammar miss?
Plz let me know this :D
And following is almost the whole text of the article I read.

: Arsène Wenger expects Ju Young Park to win over the Arsenal fans before long.

The South Korea captain has been in prolific form at international level but has only featured once for his new club – in the Carling Cup victory over Shrewsbury Town last month. Park went close to a debut goal that night and will get another chance to shine when Bolton visit north London for Tuesday’s Fourth-Round tie.

The 26-year-old summer signing from Monaco arrived with a smaller reputation than some of Arsenal's new recruits but Wenger believes he will make his presence felt soon.

"Some players like Pires and Henry took four, five, six months and they became exceptional players," he told Arsenal Player. "Park arrived two months ago so that's normal.

P.S) If you have some time, please revise my clumsy expressions of my question that I've written above. That would be extremely helpful to me, a student who studies English, and I'll really appriciate it. :-o

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
but Wenger believes he will make his presence felt soon.

In AmE, we would include the infinitive in this statement: "Wenger believes he will make his presence be felt soon." This is known as the future progressive verb tense. This particular rule of grammar may be different in BrE, which is probably what the writer of the article uses. :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
but Wenger believes he will make his presence felt soon.

In AmE, we would include the infinitive in this statement: "Wenger believes he will make his presence be felt soon." This is known as the future progressive verb tense. This particular rule of grammar may be different in BrE, which is probably what the writer of the article uses. :)
Sorry, but in both AmE and BrE the future progressive would be 'would be feeling'.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"He will make his presence felt soon." This construction is common in BrE.

lst715

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
First of all, thank you so much.
I've just checked teachers' responses cuz I was pretty busy.

Unfortunately, because of my poor English, I still cannot understand this.

Should I just accept this as British English without a specific reason?

Would you please explain this one more time using easier words? sorry :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.