Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I don't know whether or not both would be acceptable in AmE, but I would only use "has."

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know whether or not both would be acceptable in AmE, but I would only use "has."
I have *never* heard "has any of you..." ever in my life -- it's "have any of you.."

AmE native -- not a teacher

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I have *never* heard "has any of you..." ever in my life -- it's "have any of you.."

AmE native -- not a teacher
Try to be sure of your facts before posting such an absolute statement. The fact that you have never heard something is not an indicator of whether it's correct or not. As "any of you" or "any one of you" refers to a specific component of a group, "has" is certainly correct. As others have pointed out, "have" is also correct.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Try to be sure of your facts before posting such an absolute statement. The fact that you have never heard something is not an indicator of whether it's correct or not. As "any of you" or "any one of you" refers to a specific component of a group, "has" is certainly correct. As others have pointed out, "have" is also correct.

As always, English is highly sensitive to what we might call "empathy toward others' expectations and hopes."

If we expect an individual to answer we would be more likely to ask, "Has any of you ever...." but if we expect groups or pairs to answer, we'd be more likely to ask the other, "Have any of you..."

The source of possible disagreement is likely that AmE is getting sloppy with singular/plural questions lately. I've heard teachers ask children "Where's your eyes? And where's your ears?".. as an example.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The source of possible disagreement is likely that AmE is getting sloppy with singular/plural questions lately. I've heard teachers ask children "Where's your eyes? And where's your ears?".. as an example.
Slightly off-topic, but that quote contains something (underlined) that I, a moderately conservative speaker of BrE would never say or write, though it seems to be perfectly acceptable in North American varieties of English.

I can say only:

The source of possible disagreement is probably that AmE is getting sloppy ...
or
The source of possible disagreement is likely to be that AmE is getting sloppy...

In BrE, we do not normally use 'likely' in the way that konungursvia used it, though, strangely enough, we can use ''most/very likely' here.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Sweden

Not a teacher

Quoted from New Oxford American dictionary:
When used as a pronoun, any can be used with either a singular or a plural verb, depending on the context: we needed more sugar but there wasn't any left (singular verb) or are any of the new videos available? (plural verb).

So, in the case of 'any of you' it should be the same as the latter example. The correct form should be 'have any of you' as you is in plural form.

'Any one of you' is different.
Any one, meaning ‘any single (person or thing),’ is written as two words to emphasize singularity: any one of us could do the job; not more than ten new members are chosen in any one year.
If you're using 'any one', then you should say 'has any one of you ...'.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The correct form should be 'have any of you' as you is in plural form.

Well no, and (almost tongue-in-cheek) I declare we should hope for a better contribution from a Swedish resident, as you should now know that "any" is a cognate of the Old Norse word ekki and modern Swedish ej, and as such, it used to be a negation. Its original meaning in such questions would be something like "None of you have...... ?" and as such, neither singular nor plural is necessarily dictated by the null set or zero.

Both singular and plural are in use, as many native speakers who are also teachers have stated. Trust us.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Both singular and plural are in use, as many native speakers who are also teachers have stated. Trust us.
In my previous post I pointed out a difference between konungursvia's North American English and my BrE usage.

Just in case this caused any doubt in anybody's mind, I would like to make it clear that I agree completely with what konungursvia wrote above, and in his previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.