Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Good evening, teachers!

I'd be very grateful if you could throw some light on the meaning of phrases "fullmetal wedding" and "halfmetal wedding". I've recently stumbled on them but have no clue what these might mean? I couldn't find information wherever I searched. Thank you.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to Using English.

What was the context in which you saw this? It has no meaning to me right now.

Phenix

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
I saw it in a movie scene where there were a man and a woman talking about their forthcomming wedding. The dialogue followed something like that:

"Woman: Even if I say yes, it's still gonna
take time to pull together a wedding.

Man: Yeah? How about a month?

Woman: As in 30 days?
How are we gonna do that?

Man: Not having a full-metal wedding.
Ask anyone. They'll tell you it becomes about everyone other
than the two people actually getting married.

Woman: Yeah, my sister's wedding, no one
was speaking, but it was very pretty.
Can we at least have a half-metal wedding?"

There's no further context.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think they've stolen the "full metal" part from "full metal jacket". That's a description of a particular type of bullet - look HERE

Those are particularly "serious" bullets, they do a lot of damage and are used in high velocity events.

I think the speaker is saying that a "full metal wedding" would be the type where no expense is spared, everything is very elaborate and nothing is missed out. The man doesn't want that kind of wedding, especially as it has to be organised in 30 days. He says that that kind of wedding ends up not being about the two people getting married but about the wedding itself.

The woman seems to agree but clearly her sister's wedding was a bit of a disaster, so she asks if they can have a "half metal wedding". That's not the full-blown type of event described as "full metal" but also not a very quiet, sedate affair - she wants something in between the two.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Full metal jackets actually travel through the target instead of stopping inside. Making them less destructive than regular ammunition. To say nothing of hollow point bullets, designed to stop inside of the target, delivering maximum kinetic impact.

Full metal jackets are best for semi- and full-auto weapons, as the jacket helps prevent jams in the mechanisms.

Phenix

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Thank you bouth for your suggestions and especially to emsr2d2 . You're right. Thank you so much for the help! I'm glad to join UsingEnglish.com :)

Status
Not open for further replies.