• Thread starter Ksenia
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,331
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ksenia

Hello!
Please, could you tell if the following sentences are grammatically correct? And which one is better?
1) All passengers needed to be in the airport two hours before the plane departure to go through the formalities.
2) All passengers were supposed to come to the airport two hours before the plane departure to go through the formalities.

Thank you very much.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello!
Please, could you tell if the following sentences are grammatically correct? And which one is better?
1) All passengers needed to be in the airport two hours before the plane departure to go through the formalities.
2) All passengers were supposed to come to the airport two hours before the plane departure to go through the formalities.

Thank you very much.

Why are you using the past tense here? This information is a general rule so you would more inclined to see:

All passengers must be at the airport two hours before departure in order to go through all the requisite formalites.

K

Ksenia

Thank you!
I am using the past tense, because I should describe this situation in the past.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
If you must write in the past tense, then I suggest:

All passengers were required to be at the airport two hours before departure to complete the requisite formalities.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
May I say 'to pass the requisite formalities'?

I think not. It sounds very awkward.
The opposite of pass is fail. Can you fail formalities?

Use complete (or conclude or finalize).

Status
Not open for further replies.