Itasan is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

vintage year divorce

VINTAGE YEAR DIVORCE
    Is it a common term in English? If so,
    1. What age group (e.g. 50-60)?
    2. Are there other words similar to this?
    Thank you.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: vintage year divorce

It's new to me- I believe the peak for divorce is early on, before kids, or after 25 or so years, when they have grown up and left.

AlainK Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    It's new to me- I believe the peak for divorce is early on, before kids, or after 25 or so years, when they have grown up and left.
    I've just turned 50...
    But it's true that in Europe, the average age for a (first) divorce is usually earlier
    Nowadays, in France, 3 couples out of 4 will divorce, sooner or later.
    I suppose that in a society in which it is not as widespread (I don't know the statistics for other countries), there might be such a word.
    There is still the expression "Le démon de midi - Midday's devil", referring to the urge some middle-aged men had to look for a new, preferrably younger, companion. But this tends to become outdated, the relationships between people don't follow the rules of the past (i.e;, marry in your twenties, have children, and stay together your whole life).
    I heard that it is a problem for girls after a certain age to find a husband in Japan, which might be slightly more conservative in some ways than European countries. Is it true, and if so, you must have a name for them I'm sure...

Itasan is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

>>I heard that it is a problem for girls after a certain age to find a husband in Japan, which might be slightly more conservative in some ways than European countries. Is it true, and if so, you must have a name for them I'm sure...<<
    I'm sure it was really so in my youth. 30 was too late for a woman I think. But the situation is changing very fast I'm sure. I see a lot of men and women in their 30s (or older) not married and working. They tend to marry when they find a good partner and feel like getting married.