Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
hi, i'm an indonesian english teacher and teaching in a remote area.
the problem is that i have been ordered to make an english corner.
since our school is new and we don't have spare room left, could you please tell me how to make an interesting English corner?
i'm desperately need a hand on this..

lexcellent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey wahyudi,

With your limited means/space, have you considered using the internet? There are some excellent free sites that help improve English vocabulary. My favorite is Vocabulary.com. Your students can quickly and easily make an account and start being tested on words. At first they will only be asked about easy words, for instance the word "tether".

Vocabulary.com is great for ESL students because its definitions are simple and intuitive, and most of them are accompanied by a memorable little blurb.

Tell me if this works for you,

lexcellent

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you have any facilities to print out or make things like wallcharts, posters, etc?

kimfuji

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would suggest making it look lively and interesting. (I don't know what financial resources you have so I'm not so sure what to suggest.) However in general it should show the fun aspects of learning a language because children, of course, want to have fun.
Posters of English speaking children doing activities would be a nice start. If you cannot order posters on the internet maybe you can make them. Print photos out from internet and glue them on cardboard cut from simple boxes. Then arrange them in the corner of your room--either taped to the wall or hung, as in a mobile. There should be a desk or table in front of the photos. The desk should have books, handouts or activities on it where the child(children) can do some activity using English.
Of course, like the others said, having a computer for internet access would be ideal. You could assign sets of two or three children, sitting together in front of the computer, a 10 to 15 minute time period on the internet, using a particular website where they would be interacting with English text and pictures as a way to learn vocabulary or pronunciation. While they are working on that, you could be teaching another group something else on the other side of the room.
Good LucK!

Status
Not open for further replies.