Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lenka is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default maturita 1 - lifestyles and hobbies

Hi, I understand I want you too much, but I would be so happy if you helped me and corrected this whole essay… If you are just bored, you can have a look at it… Please!

LIFESTYLES AND LEISURE ACTIVITIES IN THE UK AND THE CZECH REPUBLIC

I’m going to speak about leisure activities and I’m going to try to comapre British and Czech lifestyles sa little.
    Well, first of all I’ll try to explain why we need to have some free time and rest.
    Secondly I am going to talk about people’s lifestyles and hobbies: I will tell you dividing hobbies and pasttimes.
    At the end I am going to talk about several hobbies and about how they may infleunce our life and what people do the most and at the weekends.

So, to start with explanation what actually hobbies mean for us, I suppose everyone all round the world fills his or her spare time by his or her hobbies. If people didn’t have any hobbies, they would probably go mad as everyone needs some relaxing and resting. To tell the true, I can’t imagine my life without any of the acivities that I like. It is clear people mustn’t only work and sleep. In my opinion, we live our lives to feel happy. How can we reach happiness? From my point of view, happiness is everything that makes us happy: looking forward to something, doing what we want (going out, spending time with friends etc.) – just something that we enjoy and like, achieving an objective. You don’t have to be rich to feel happy; the main thing is that you should be satisfied with your life.
    For example many people in poor countries are much happier than those living in a rush, still hurrying.
    But it all depends on what we like. We can whenever change our lives – that’s is a piece of the bright side of life, altough it is sometimes difficult to change it suddenly. But that is also what makes us happy if we see at least some progress – trying to reach our objective.

In my opinion, leisure activities and lifestyles in the UK and the Czech Republic are slowly going to be same. However, it is just my opinion – I haven’t lived in the UK, so I can’t say exactly what people in this country do or don’t like.

I think we can difference two sorts of people. First ones, who like to live in a city, still doing something, almost without no rest. The other type of people are those, who like to live still and easily. These people don’t need much for their lives.
    The first group of people prefers living in a city to living out of the city, the others like to live in the countryside. The first ones believe in modern medicine, the others are slowly going to live very naturally (when they’re ill, the drink herb teas, trust the nature more than the science.
    My attitude to this is following: I believe natural cure is much better, but only if it helps. If it doesn’t help us, there is no other chance than to stretch out for some tablets and pills. Moreover, there are many doctors specialized in homeopathy nowadays, who will always try to prescribe you natural cure than chemical tablets.
    And of course, there is a mixed group of people who for example like to live in a city because of the culture (in a town they can go to concerts, theatres, galleries and so on), but also prefer herbs to chemically produced tablets.

We difference many kinds of leisure activities. The most wide-spread nowadays are probably sport hobbies; the other kinds of hobbies are cultural and artistic (going to the cinema, galleries, concerts, reading books, newspapers, magazines, painting, drawing, playing a musical instrument, singing, dancing…), intellectual (playing social games: cards, chess, draughts; solving puzzles), housework (sewing, crocheting, embroidering, knitting; we can also mention gardening, cooking, baking, tinkering and perhaps fishing), collecting various things such as stamps, chewing gum wrappers or beer bottle labels and caps.
    The sport hobbies can be divided to two parts: team sports (football (soccer), volleyball, baseball) and individual sporting (skiing, running, hiking, swimming, rafting and many others).

Some hobbies tend to be a men’s affair while others attract mostle women. Children, too, have their hobbies. When we are young we have lots of time to do what we enjoy.
    Big women’s pasttime is for example sewing. I suppose anyone can’t imagine a man sewing or crocheting. It would look really funny. However, not many women devote to houseworks. Young people don’t ussually have patience for this. They don’t mostly even know how to do that as noboy learned them. Women in the middle age don’t ussually have any time for this. I don’t know the situation in the UK, but in the CZ women have to manage everything: working about 10 or more hours at work, cooking, looking after children, washing… - and if they should have also sew or knit, they would soon go to a madhouse, altough they might consider it as a hobby. They rather buy a T-shirt than to sew it by themselves. Only old retiring women have some time for these works.
    Typically men’s hobby is fishing. Men also like to tinker about in their home workshops.
    And what about the childrens hobbies? Speaking personally, small children devote to collecting of anything starting with stamps and ending with dolls or pencils.

What do people do the most in their free time? Most of people sport. Sport is being developed more and more these times. People know it is healthy to practise a sport. In addition, many people try to lose on weight, because it is “in fashion“. Sporting can help them to reduce their weight.
    Many people are influenced by this stupid lifestyle. Almost every girl wants to be even slimmer than she is and that’s why they diet themselves. I believe people should eat healthy, but in my opinion, there is nothing bad in eating a whole chocolate after 8 pm.

Statistics say that British, mainly young people, don’t participate in sports activities very much - people in the UK spend 15 minutes a day sporting in average. I don’t know how much minutes Czech people spend, but I guess the same time, perhaps a little more. I myself don’t practise any sports regularly – I just like cycling, swimming, dancing, skiing…and that’s probably all.

While about 50 years ago, hiking was developed a lot, many people prefer cycling to hiking now. I don’t know if people like it also in the UK, but in my country, it is very popular.
    We can see much more ecological advertisement on TV, in newapapers then in the past. People try to sort the trash (for paper, plastic, glass…), protect nature. When you go hiking for example to a forest, you can see tables where protected animals and plants are drawn on your way to the destination (it is ordinary a mountain with a view at the landscape); these tables tell tourists how to behave in the nature.

But many people rather sit on their sofa in front of the TV screen (couch potatos). Instead of playing football, they watch their favourite football on TV.

In the UK, women love to go shopping to the supermarkets and department stores at the weekends. They often go also with whole family and spend all the day (ussually Saturdays) instead of going to the countryside or visiting their relatives. This favour in shopping and having brand clothes shows us, that the society is going more and more consumer. And it is the same in the Czech Republic.

Young people love meeting their friends and that is why they often go to pubs, cafés, bars or night clubs.

But there are also many other typical hobbies such as gardening, photography.
    In spite of TV, people still go to cinema, but very few people visit museums, galleries.
    Magazines and newspapers are still read – not only in the UK, but also in the Czech Republic. These media influence our lives a lot. They ussually develop our opinions on everything. If TV tells us sacred (holy ?) war against Islamist radicals is good and useful for both sides, most of us is going to believe it.

To sum up, I think British people’s hobbies are the same. Probably almost every country in the world, except countries of the third world, has just about the same hobbies. Unfortunatelly, these poor people don’t have enough money to go to the cinema, if there is any. But they can devote to other hobbies, the natural hobbies: any sports, drawing, housework…

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: maturita 1 - lifestyles and hobbies

comapre- compare
    I will tell you dividing hobbies and pasttimes- distinguish between hobbies...

OK I have to go- serious coomputer problems- will try to get back in a bit

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

OK- sorry for the delay, but my computer died and then I was away in Kyoto for a couple of days, but I did say I would get back to it.

I’m going to speak about leisure activities and I’m going to try to compare British and Czech lifestyles a little.
    Well, first of all I’ll try to explain why we need to have some free time and rest.
    Secondly I am going to talk about people’s lifestyles and hobbies: I will tell you about various hobbies and pastimes.
    At the end I am going to talk about several hobbies and about how they may influence our lives and what people do the most and what they do at the weekends.

So, to start with an explanation what actually hobbies mean for us, I suppose everyone all round the world fills his or her spare time with his or her hobbies. If people didn’t have any hobbies, they would probably go mad as everyone needs some relaxation and rest. To tell the truth, I can’t imagine my life without any of the acivities that I like. It is clear people mustn’t only work and sleep. In my opinion, we live our lives to feel happy. How can we reach happiness? From my point of view, happiness is everything that makes us happy: looking forward to something, doing what we want (going out, spending time with friends etc.) – just something that we enjoy and like- or achieving an objective. You don’t have to be rich to feel happy; the main thing is that you should be satisfied with your life.
    For example many people in poor countries are much happier than those living in a rush, still hurrying. (This is a bit unclear because you haven't contrasted poor countries with wealthier ones)
    But it all depends on what we like. We can always change our lives – that’s is a piece of the bright side of life, although it is sometimes difficult to change it suddenly. But that is also what makes us happy if we see at least some progress – trying to reach our objective.

In my opinion, leisure activities and lifestyles in the UK and the Czech Republic are slowly going to be same. However, it is just my opinion – I haven’t lived in the UK, so I can’t say exactly what people in this country do or don’t like.

I think we can difference two sorts of people. First, those who like to live in a city, still doing something, almost without rest. The other type of people are those, who like to live quielty and calmly. These people don’t need much for their lives.
    The first group of people prefers living in a city to living out of the city, the others like to live in the countryside. The first ones believe in modern medicine, the others are slowly going to live very naturally (when they’re ill, the drink herb teas, trust the nature more than the science.
    My attitude to this is following: I believe natural cure is much better, but only if it helps. If it doesn’t help us, there is no other chance than to stretch out for some tablets and pills. Moreover, there are many doctors specialized in homeopathy nowadays, who will always try to prescribe you natural cure than chemical tablets.
    And of course, there is a mixed group of people who for example like to live in a city because of the culture (in a town they can go to concerts, theatres, galleries and so on), but also prefer herbs to chemically produced tablets. (is medicine a hobby? This seems a bit off-topic)

There are many kinds of leisure activities. The most wide-spread nowadays are probably sports; the other kinds of hobbies are cultural and artistic (going to the cinema, galleries, concerts, reading books, newspapers, magazines, painting, drawing, playing a musical instrument, singing, dancing…), intellectual (playing social games: cards, chess, draughts; solving puzzles), housework (sewing, crocheting, embroidering, knitting; we can also mention gardening, cooking, baking, tinkering and perhaps fishing), collecting various things such as stamps, chewing gum wrappers or beer bottle labels and caps.
    Sports can be divided to two groups/types: team sports (football (soccer), volleyball, baseball) and individual sporting (skiing, running, hiking, swimming, rafting and many others).

Some hobbies tend to be a men’s affair while others attract mostly women. Children, too, have their hobbies. When we are young we have lots of time to do what we enjoy.
    An example of a popular women's pastime is sewing. I suppose no one can imagine a man sewing or crocheting. It would look really funny. However, not many women are devoted to housework. Young people don’t usually have patience for this. They don’t mostly even know how to do it as nobody taught them. Middle-aged women don’t usually have any time for this. I don’t know the situation in the UK, but in the CZ women have to manage everything: working about 10 or more hours at work, cooking, looking after children, washing… - and if they should have also sew or knit, they would soon go to a madhouse, altough they might consider it as a hobby. They would rather buy a T-shirt than sew it by themselves. Only old retired women have some time for such work.
    A typical men’s hobby is fishing. Men also like to tinker about in their home workshops.
    And what about the children's hobbies? Speaking personally, small children are devoted to collecting anything- starting with stamps and ending with dolls or pencils.

What do people do the most in their free time? Most people dosport. Sport is being developed more and more these times. People know it is healthy to practise a sport. In addition, many people try to lose on weight, because it is “in fashion“. Sporting can help them to reduce their weight.
    Many people are influenced by this stupid lifestyle. Almost every girl wants to be even slimmer than she is and that’s why they diet themselves. I believe people should eat healthy, but in my opinion, there is nothing bad in eating a whole chocolate after 8 pm. (Is this relevant to hobbies?)

Statistics say that British, mainly young people, don’t participate in sports activities very much - people in the UK spend 15 minutes a day doing sport on average. I don’t know how much minutes Czech people spend, but I guess the same time, perhaps a little more. I myself don’t practise any sports regularly – I just like cycling, swimming, dancing, skiing…and that’s probably all.

While about 50 years ago, hiking was developed a lot, many people prefer cycling to hiking now. I don’t know if people like it also in the UK, but in my country, it is very popular.
    We can see much more ecological advertisements on TV, in newapapers then in the past. People try to sort the trash (for paper, plastic, glass…) to protect nature. When you go hiking for example to a forest, you can see tables where protected animals and plants are drawn on your way to the destination (normally on a mountain with a view of the landscape); these tables tell tourists how to behave in the nature.

But many people rather sit on their sofa in front of the TV screen (couch potatoes). Instead of playing football, they watch their favourite football on TV.

In the UK, women love to go shopping to the supermarkets and department stores at the weekends. They often go also with whole family and spend all the day (ussually Saturdays) instead of going to the countryside or visiting their relatives. This fashion for shopping and having designer clothes shows us, that the society is going more and more consumerist. And it is the same in the Czech Republic.

Young people love meeting their friends and that is why they often go to pubs, cafés, bars or night clubs.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

But there are also many other typical hobbies such as gardening and photography.
    In spite of TV, people still go to cinema, but very few people visit museums and galleries.
    Magazines and newspapers are still read – not only in the UK, but also in the Czech Republic. The media influence our lives a lot. They usually develop our opinions on everything. If TV tells us holy war against Islamist radicals is good and useful for both (both??) sides, most of us are going to believe it.

To sum up, I think British people’s hobbies are the same as ours. Probably almost every country in the world, except countries of the third world, has just about the same hobbies. Unfortunately, these poor people don’t have enough money to go to the cinema, if there is any. But they can devote themselves to other hobbies, the natural hobbies: any sports, drawing, housework…

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks a lot, tdol!!!
    I haven't read what you have corrected yet, but when I saw it at the moment, I was really surprised! I didn't except anyone would really correct it all! It's so long!

Thank you... I see you're very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry to bother again, but I have been thinking of the mistakes I did and have a few questions that are all connected with the essay. By the way, the essay isn’t for school – I won’t get a mark from it and no teacher is going to correct it – that is why I asked you to do that. Moreover, I believe you much more than Czech English teachers. I mean English teachers who are Czechs.

Well, here are the questions (or sometimes sentences and statements (that I derived from the corrected essay) that I would like you to confirm and say whether they are or aren’t right)

1) We never say “fill by“ but “fill with“ (just tell me whether it is true)

2)I wrote: …to tell the true
    - you corrected it to ….to tell the truth… - why? There is an English word “true“, isn’t it?

3)I wrote: “we can whenever change our lives“ and you corrected it to “we can always change our lives“.
    Is it correct to write “we can change our lives whenever (we want)“ – just to change the word order? Why?

4)They live almost without rest.
    - Can I write “without any rest“ ?

5) The most wide-spread nowadays are probably sports. Why can’t I use expression sport hobbies? Is it totally incorrect or does it just sound weird?

6) I suppose no one can imagine a man sewing.
    Why is it incorrect to write …anyone can’t…?

7) A few days ago I read this sentence: “They consider you an adult when you are 18“ (I hope I wrote it without any mistakes; by the way, may I say “without any mistakes“? This question is contained in question number 4)
    However, in the essay I wrote: “they might consider it as a hobby.“ And you didn’t say it isn’t written right. Does it mean that both the collocations are right? Is it correct to say “they consider me as an adult“?

8) A typical men’s hobby is fishing. Why can’t I say “typically“ instead of “a typical“ ?
    Typically can’t be used as an adverb in the sentence?

9) People in the UK spend 15 minutes a day doing sport on average.
    a) Is it correct and with the same meaning to write “doing sports“? (plural)
    b) Word “sport“ can’t be used also as a verb? Is that why I can’t say ….15 min. a day sporting…. ?
    Most people sport. – this sentence is incorrect because word sport isn’t considered a verb?
    c) Word average is always connected with preposition ON ?

10)a) small children are devoted to collecting anything
    b) they can devote themselves to other hobbies
    If I understood it well, we can say “to be devoted to + gerund“ or “devote + reflexive pronoun + to + gerund“ and the meaning is always same, isn’t it?
    Ad b) Is the meaning same if I write “they can be devoted to other hobbies/doing other hobbies“ ?

11) I wrote: I don’t know how much minutes Czech people spend.
    - is it really correct to write much instead of many? Minutes are countable, aren’t they?

12) Noun view is always connected with preposition of ?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka
    I am sorry to bother again
    No bother

1) We never say “fill by“ but “fill with“ (just tell me whether it is true)
    Not necessariley- we could use 'by' in a passive sentence, but this wouldn't be very common.

2)I wrote: …to tell the true
    - you corrected it to ….to tell the truth… - why? There is an English word “true“, isn’t it?
    Truth- noun
    true- adjective

3)I wrote: “we can whenever change our lives“ and you corrected it to “we can always change our lives“.
    Is it correct to write “we can change our lives whenever (we want)“ – just to change the word order? Why?

I'd leave the 'we want' in there and then it would work fine with that word order.

4)They live almost without rest.
    - Can I write “without any rest“ ?

Yes

5) The most wide-spread nowadays are probably sports. Why can’t I use expression sport hobbies? Is it totally incorrect or does it just sound weird?

Sounds weird

6) I suppose no one can imagine a man sewing.
    Why is it incorrect to write …anyone can’t…?

As a subject:
    No one can do it = impossible
    Anyone can do it = very easy
    Anyone can't do it = Incorrect

7) A few days ago I read this sentence: “They consider you an adult when you are 18“ (I hope I wrote it without any mistakes; by the way, may I say “without any mistakes“? This question is contained in question number 4)
    However, in the essay I wrote: “they might consider it as a hobby.“ And you didn’t say it isn’t written right. Does it mean that both the collocations are right? Is it correct to say “they consider me as an adult“?

Yes, though omitting it there sounds better

8) A typical men’s hobby is fishing. Why can’t I say “typically“ instead of “a typical“ ?
    Typically can’t be used as an adverb in the sentence?

It's an adjective modifying the noun phrase 'men's hobby'

9) People in the UK spend 15 minutes a day doing sport on average.
    a) Is it correct and with the same meaning to write “doing sports“? (plural)

Yes
    b) Word “sport“ can’t be used also as a verb? Is that why I can’t say ….15 min. a day sporting…. ?
    Most people sport. – this sentence is incorrect because word sport isn’t considered a verb?

As a verb, it has a different meaning- he's sporting a hat = wearing
    c) Word average is always connected with preposition ON ?

It's the usual one

10)a) small children are devoted to collecting anything
    b) they can devote themselves to other hobbies
    If I understood it well, we can say “to be devoted to + gerund“ or “devote + reflexive pronoun + to + gerund“ and the meaning is always same, isn’t it?
    yes

Ad b) Is the meaning same if I write “they can be devoted to other hobbies/doing other hobbies“ ?

Yes

11) I wrote: I don’t know how much minutes Czech people spend.
    - is it really correct to write much instead of many? Minutes are countable, aren’t they?

No- it should be many

12) Noun view is always connected with preposition of ?

No- you can have a view 'over the river'

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I really thank you :). I know I have said it too many times...

now I hope I have the last question:

13)
    …and if they should have also sew or knit, they would soon go to a madhouse, although they might consider it as a hobby.

I think I should have written: ….should have sewed or knit…, haven’t I?

--------

I realized I have 3 last (really last questions):

Ad 2) Yes, it’s true/truth.
    - Does in this sentence depend on which part of speech I use? Does the meaning change?

Ad 6) You said that sentence – anyone can’t do it - is incorrect.
    Does it mean that anyone/anything/… can’t be used as a subject if the predicate is negative?

Ad 8) It is a very nicely flowered garden.
    - is this sentence written right? Can I say it in English?
    If I translated into Czech (the exact translation), it would be a normal Czech sentence. In Czech we can evolve an adjective (attribute) by an adverb (adverbial function – do you call it like this? How do you call this constituent of a sentence? For example in sentence “He did it easily“ what member is “easily“?)
    That is why I wrote: “Typically men’s hobby is fishing“
    I understand why you wrote “A typical men’s hobby“ – we can say similar or same sentence in Czech by using an adjective. But we can also say typically.

And what about this sentence? :
    It’s a very nice story. => which member is very? Which word class is it?
    Last edited by Lenka; 28-Oct-2005 at 18:36.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Lenka.

13) have sewn is correct. It's the present perfect: HAVE + past participle.

2) Yes, it's true. "true" is an adjective; Yes, it's the truth. "truth" is a noun. It takes an article/determiner, "the/a".

6) *"anyone can't do it" is incorrect. Try, "no one can do it." Negate the subject, not the verb:

Affirmative: anyone can / any one person can
    Negative: no one can / no one person can

8) "It is a very nicely flowered garden."

Sounds lovely to me. It's English.

EX: "He did it easily."

"easily" functions as an adverb. It tells us how:

EX: How did he do it?
    EX: Easily is how he did it.

It’s a very nice story.

"very" modifies "nice", an adjective, so it functions as an adverb in that sentence.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Casiopea!

I wasn’t right when I said that the questions I wrote were the last ones.
    Now I promise that these ones I am asking you now, are really last.

14) lose weight or lose on weight?

15)I am going to tell you how we can distinguish hobbies and leisure activities.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast