Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Could you explain me how to use the adjectives empty and hollow? It's really hard to me to understand their meaning because in my language they mean the same so I cannot catch the difference between them.
Maybe some examples would be useful. ;-)

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Hollow is most commonly used as an adjective.
Hollow means having a hole or empty space inside. Example: Each fiber has a hollow core.
Hollow can also mean having a depression in the surface of a thing; concave. Example: The old man had hollow cheeks.
Hollow is also a verb and a noun. Check your dictionary.

Empty means containing nothing; not filled or occupied. Example: He took his empty coffee cup back to the counter. The room was empty of furniture.

taita87

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I am italian too, and I probably understand what you mean.

Oxford dictionary:
Hollow
1 having a hole or empty space inside : each fiber has a hollow core.
• (of a thing) having a depression in its surface; concave : hollow cheeks.

From my point of view, I think that hollow is more about the shape of the object you are referring to. You should use empty instead to describe the content of a certain object.

For example, hydraulic tubes are hollow (it means that they are "cavitary" cylinders, ie a solid object with a cavity inside) and they could be empty (referred to the content of the "cavity")

Hope to be helpful

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks so much :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hollow is more about the shape of the object you are referring to. You should use empty instead to describe the content of a certain object.

Good distinction! :up:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I am italian too, and I probably understand what you mean.

Oxford dictionary:
Hollow
1 having a hole or empty space inside : each fiber has a hollow core.
• (of a thing) having a depression in its surface; concave : hollow cheeks.

From my point of view, I think that hollow is more about the shape of the object you are referring to. You should use empty instead to describe the content of a certain object.

For example, hydraulic tubes are hollow (it means that they are "cavitary" cylinders, ie a solid object with a cavity inside) and they could be empty (referred to the content of the "cavity")

Hope to be helpful
I think it's a very good explanation.

It's interesting that, while a tube and a torus are homeomorphic (unless we want to disregard the thickness of the tube's walls, it is just a stretched-out torus), we consider the tube to be hollow and not the torus. Both objects have a hole in the middle: if we put them both on the ground in such a way that the empty spaces can be seen from above, then horizontal cross-sections are of exactly the same kind for both -- they're rings. However, for a torus to be hollow, this is not enough for some reason. It would need to have "hollow" vertical cross-sections to be that.

I think it's because we don't really think of the hole in the middle of the torus to be inside it.

Status
Not open for further replies.